A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Serpentine/Timing Belt Repalcement

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have mentioned the car is 2003 with 65K. Not high on miles but getting up in age.

Are there any Audi specialty shops that stock the aluminum oil cooling pipe?
I'm hoping one of them might be local so I can get the aluminum pipe quickly -- while the TB work is still in progress.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

your suggestions are fine. But i omitted them because if they fail, nothing bad happens. If a tensioner fails, the belt, and your valves, die.

G
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

I was able to get a hold of James Bufkin who overnighted one of his aluminum oil cooler pipes to the shop so they will be able to install it instead of the factory plastic one -- thanks for the suggestion to replace it.

I also asked for the old parts back. I want to see what shape the timing belt was in so I'll have a better idea what time/mileage to do this next time.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

It's good you're getting the parts back..but the TB shape will be largely irrelevant to your decision...check the condition of the tensioner and idler pulleys viz-a-viz new ones (feel, play, etc.). Waterpump as well.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd what sloopy said. You are not replacing the timing belt because it wears out (didn't i already write this? Do i type for exercise?), but rather because one of the other parts fails (e.g.; water pump drags or begins to seize) and destroys the belt. Hell, do the rolling parts and put the old belt back, in!

G
Old 12-03-2011, 01:58 AM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

Understood on the TB, just the same I will get a new one.

Strange thing about the aluminum oil cooler line is that shop says there is no savings replacing it now even though the whole front of the car is apart. I wonder if anyone has a pic or diagram for is this plastic oil pipe that fails? I was under the impression it was wise to replace it at TB time.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just another week point

You may save an hour of labor by doing the oil cooler pipe with the car in the service position, but the oil cooler pipe is about a 6-8 hour job. I have done this repair myself and it is a PITA. Usually shows up around 100K. Hang on to the pipe and tackle the job when the problem shows up. Your next issues will be oil leaks. They all get them.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:42 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RGW
Strange thing about the aluminum oil cooler line is that shop says there is no savings replacing it now even though the whole front of the car is apart. I wonder if anyone has a pic or diagram for is this plastic oil pipe that fails? I was under the impression it was wise to replace it at TB time.
BS. There is plenty of overlap. However, there is still plenty of work left to change the pipe. It's a beotch.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

I believe one has to pull the alternator and drop the front sub-frame to get to the oil cooler line on the A6.

While the TB replacement is going on, this should be simplified because:

1) all the fluids are already drained.
2) the belt is already off the alternator so just
two bolts and the alternator can be removed.
3) top engine covers are already off.

If this is true, a good mechanic should be able to do the rest in 2-3 hours.

For those that have actually done this job, am I correct in my assumptions above? If so, I'll speak with the shop on Monday morning because they feel it is still a full 9 hour job regardless of the fact the TB job is being done at the same time.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was about to start a new thread to ask you experts a similar question. I have an ’04 A8 with 91,000 miles. I only have limited service history, and nothing definitively says that this TB service was performed. Is there any [easy] way for me to visually determine if these parts were replaced? Are there any warning signs that it needs done now? Would any dealer share with me a more complete service history?

It seems that if left undone, many experience a catastrophic failure. I do my own work, and have the tools to do it, but I am new to Audi. I don’t want to waste time and money to change something that someone could easily see is recently changed. How would I tell? Or should I suck it up and do it regardless, in order to avoid engine meltdown? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Serpentine/Timing Belt Repalcement