A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Shell rotella t6 syn, vs valvoline premium blue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell rotella t6 syn, vs valvoline premium blue?

one is syn the other isn't, on. Is 5w40 the other 15w40 , both have great uoa's. Which would u guys run in your 2.7t?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotella T6. 2.7t mandates synthetic and 15w-40 is to thick on start up. Depending on your climate GC 0w-30 or M1 0w-40 would be a better choice for winter running, but for warmer climate you won't go wrong with the RT6.

BTW: OEM, MANN, WIX, or Napa Gold filters only for the 2.7t. Ideally OEM or MANN, but the others will do well.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 08-28-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
one is syn the other isn't, on. Is 5w40 the other 15w40 , both have great uoa's. Which would u guys run in your 2.7t?
Use this instead and get the best of all worlds.

VW 505.01 Approved as listed on page 7 at link.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/vw_tb_17-05-04.pdf
Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have been using Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40 for the last 3 years and about 40 K miles... it has held up great ..I change every 10K miles and I feel it held up much better than the Mobil1 0W40 I was using in the past...
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

guys, been using Rotella T6 for YEARS! decided to give the valvoline a try as the T6 has shot up in price from 19.99 to 27.99 a gallom... guess the word is out. as far as weight is concerned, im in AZ, it was 110 today, it was above 115 all week, i get in my car and my water temp needle is already almost to the top first thing in the morning. lol just seeing if anyone had experience with it, at only 11.99 a gallon thought i give it a whirl, only do 4-5k OCI anyways. i like the VPB as it has a better HTHS then the Rotella. has good moly and zinc as well, and sorry to be quite honest, the detergent package in this oil is second to none, i would NEVER run mobile 1 in my car, would run GC 5w-30 if i had no other option, and probably wouldnt run the syn power. i wont run anything less then an oil that exceeds CI-4+ or CJ-4
Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry, and thanks for using Shell products.

ROTELLA T Multigrades (SAE 10W-30 and 15W-40) and ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 are universal oils, meeting lubrication requirements of both diesel and gasoline engines. Because of their more robust additives, I would expect these products to outperform passenger car only oils (better control of wear and deposits).

However, their more robust additives may preclude them from meeting passenger car engine manufacturers' recommended oil requirements. Car makers usually recommend oil quality by API Service Category (current category is SL), and by ILSAC or API Certification Mark (starburst symbol) requirements. Oils meeting ILSAC and API Certification Mark requirements have special friction modifiers and restricted phosphorus content.

The ROTELLA T products do not have these special friction modifiers, and consequently may not permit the same fuel economy as oils containing them. ROTELLA T products also have phosphorus content in excess of the ILSAC and star burst limits. Excessive phosphorus may limit the activity of some catalytic exhaust emission control devices.

The best way to determine if ROTELLA T is recommended for your application is to check the owner's manual. If the recommended oil quality is only API SL (or earlier, like SG and SH), then ROTELLA T meets the recommendation. If ILSAC or starburst is also recommended, using ROTELLA T may risk some loss in fuel economy, and some loss in catalyst activity, compared to using passenger car only oils.

Peter Van Benthuysen

Tel: +01 281 544 8253
Email: Peter.VanBenthuysen@shell.com
Internet: http://www.shell.com

On an turbo motor for a low mileage run we have iron shedding and fuel dilution. I think an oil from the manufacturer TSB may be a better choice. Lower phosphorous Shell Helix for GASOLINE motors is on there. To each his own.

Last edited by AUJ; 08-28-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

seriously auj, you pull ONE UOA and think that makes your case? compile thirty UOAs on a single turbo motor and then make conclusions.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

seriously auj, you pull ONE UOA and think that makes your case? compile thirty UOAs on a single turbo motor and then make conclusions.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2155528

heres one an a REAL TURBO CHARGED motor

heres more

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1963411
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2042558
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1992028
Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not to mention, your post the guy had HEAVY fuel dilution of the oil

again ill stick with an oil with high detergent and anti wear addatives anyday, bottomline, diesel oil is formulated for the the hardest work environment: a diesel engine with a turbocharger.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

I simply posted the first UOA of a turbo motor of your oil that popped up on google because you said you made your decision based on UOAs. I then provided you with a response from Shell on recommendations and provided you with a Shell alternate on the manufacturer's TSB. No need to drink, horsey.

http://www.techmax.ca/european_impor...ifications.htm

"The OEMs will actually run very specific engine tests to make sure the oil being manufactured does the job that is needed. The European car manufacturers run tests for very specifics kinds of problems and then they develop the oils to remedy those problems.

The European oils have specific additive packages that are designed to reduce wear in the engine. Some European car makers will often assist on avoiding Pi-only rated oils because they do not believe these oils have that extra protection necessary, such as friction modifiers or viscosity index approvers. "

The Shell executive clearly states in my prior post that the product you are using DOES NOT have the proper additives.

"Just to confuse you even more, there are also ratings specifying catalyst compatible oils (Cl, C2, C3 and C4) which have to be kept in mind as well.

If you are really interested to find out what those mean, the ACEA Web site (www.ACEA.be) has all the ratings and their designations spelled out in great detail, right down to the kinds of engine tests run and the results.

And if you think, there is not enough motor oil related info at above, there is something more, to confuse you even more. Some European auto manufacturer will demand even more technology specific motor oil formulations for their vehicles, some manufacturers say the industry standards are great, but we are going to go an extra step and formulate specific oils for our engine because we have a particular type of technology. For example, Volkswagen has the injectors driven from the camshaft rather than the fuel pump. That gives you a really fine misting and a very good burn. Volkswagen has determined that the European standard is a starting-point so they start with an A3/B4 oil which is for direct-injection diesel and then they do a set of sludge tests, valve-train wear tests etc. and come up with a specific kind of oil needed."

Run the oil you want; everyone else should smart up and run something from the VW TSB I provided.

Quick Reply: Shell rotella t6 syn, vs valvoline premium blue?