A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Shifter locked on '02 s6 - revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter locked on '02 s6 - revisited

I installed a new brake light switch, still no luck. Any other ideas from the collective before I have it trailered to the dealership and start the money pit meter running?
I tried popping the button on the shifter and all seems fine with that.
Is there a (easy) way to disable the shifter lock?
Thanks all for your previous replies.
Jay
Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default longshot?

Nearly a year ago I parked the avant and moved the shifter from the TIP position to Park all-in-one-swift-move. In doing so, the shifter didn't get all the way into the PRND432 gate even though I managed to put it in Park.

The result of this was that I couldn't get the key out of the ignition. After considering panic, I managed to fiddle with the shifter/button & with a bit of force got it back to the TIP gate. Then, in a deliberate flick of the shifter to the main gate, I shifted up into Park and all was well.

I saw your other post, but didn't think my experience applied.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Seems odd, does the red foot brake light go out when you step on the brake?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Re: longshot?

The red foot brake light stays lit in the shifter console and the brake lights work, I've fiddled with the shifter to no avail. The only thing left that I think may be the trouble is during a recent trip to
Nor. Cal. I found rat droppings in the floor of the car after parking it for a few days...I'm hoping that it didn't chew wires in the dash.
This would be the second 'animal' incident with the car- the first was a (poor) rabbit crawling up into the engine compartment and throwing the power belt off also breaking an a/c wire which cost 2 trips to repair and abt $800 total. I guess this is the cost for living out in the sticks.
Anyhoo, thanks for the replies,
jay
Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hmmm...if you've already tried the brake switch, but the light does not go out...

...when you step on the brake, then definitely there is a loose connection somewhere between the brake switch and the shift lock. I ahve no idea how to disable that...I think it is time to ahve it looked at by a professional.

At the very least, you ahve a spare brake switch, for that time when you might need one! I read a while ago that it was a good thing to have a spare in the glovebox in the event the switch fails. Then you will not be stranded.

Hope you get this figured out...bummer to be stuck!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Hmmm...if you've already tried the brake switch, but the light does not go out...

Thanks- I'm glad I have a second car to drive, just not liking the $560 tow charge to get it to the dealer. I suspect a chewed wire at this point and may just have it towed to my house where I can take apart the console and try to defeat the shift lock.
Take care- I'll update with the end result,
jay
Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Shifter locked on '02 s6 - revisited

For those following this saga---
To disable the foot brake solenoid:
Pop up and remove the 'wood' trim surrounding the shifter.
Remove the shift ****.
Remove the alum. bezel shift console via the 4 black clips on each corner.
Unplug the solenoid which is down inside on the upper left. Wiring from the tip controls lead to it.
Voila, she'll drive, albeit with the foot brake light lit on the shift console.
Thanks for your comments and especially the pictoral Boston Driver posted regarding his paddle wheel shifter install. The Bentley would have one believe that the radio, A/C controls and ash tray have to be removed before the shift console trim can be removed. BostonDrivers post dispelled that horrible myth.
Now, how does one test a solenoid?
Be well all,
Jay