A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

shock fitment--2001 2.7t, sport (1BE) suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock fitment--2001 2.7t, sport (1BE) suspension

I've read lots of recommendations here and searched a number of the websites, but can't seem to get the info exactly right:
-- What shocks will fit this car? Keeping the stock sport springs. Pretty happy with the ride--it's a daily driver. Just need a good replacement. Some sites don't even identify which suspension, others break the years at 2000.
-- Bilstein HD vs Sport vs Koni xxx: what's the difference, and how does it compare to OE? Many spots seem to sell one or the other, even within the brand. Do Bilstein Sports inherently match Audi Sport springs? Or are there sport and non-sport Sports, and I need to get the right one, if I go with those?
-- I see almost no mention of the factory shocks. Are those a poorer choice at the price point? Whose are they?

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocketman4321
I've read lots of recommendations here and searched a number of the websites, but can't seem to get the info exactly right:
-- What shocks will fit this car? Keeping the stock sport springs. Pretty happy with the ride--it's a daily driver. Just need a good replacement. Some sites don't even identify which suspension, others break the years at 2000.
-- Bilstein HD vs Sport vs Koni xxx: what's the difference, and how does it compare to OE? Many spots seem to sell one or the other, even within the brand. Do Bilstein Sports inherently match Audi Sport springs? Or are there sport and non-sport Sports, and I need to get the right one, if I go with those?
-- I see almost no mention of the factory shocks. Are those a poorer choice at the price point? Whose are they?

Thank you!
HD's fit fine on OE Sport Springs. The valving is the same for HD and Sport. Sport Bilsteins have a shorter inner shaft. Some guys need the short shaft for their lower than OE Sport aftermarket lowering springs. Some debate that the Bilstein design of valving would operate best with a longer shaft within the identical damper housing as the Sports. One can even have Bilstein machine drop grooves in the damper body on the HDs to get a little more drop on the OE Spring/HD match up. The grooves are where the circlip goes under the spring perch. As in life and suspension selection, a longer shaft is only a bad thing to the guys with the shorter shafts. Go Heavy Duty and be proud.