A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Short shifter: Toyguy or Vast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter: Toyguy or Vast?

I have read about the Toy guy shifter and it looks like a thorough revision of the stock shifter that eliminates all the faults. But how does the vast compare to stock? It is much cheaper and I will have to wait if I want to pay for the advanced engineering of the the toy guy part.

I should state that I think the manual in the A6 is a disgrace! My 94 Acura Integra was by far a better shifter.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't imagine that you would notice a difference. It will still be chunky on the shifts but less

rowing.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default forget them both and get the AWE Drive train stabilizer...

It makes not only difference to the feel of the shift, but the off line performance of the car.

The notchyness of the shifting is in the tranny and not the shifter itself. While it may shift faster due to revised geometry, A SS can't smooth out the tranny's insides.

Just hold your shifter about an inch lower than the **** and see the difference.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where are you located?

If you're in the New England area Toy Guy will install it for you, free.

Can't beat that...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks I will try that...
Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my toyguy isn't chunky at all, nice and smooth even with 3/4" shortened, very happy with it
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have read that the later model years have a trans stabilizer. If so it does not work!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DTS and SS are both on my list.

Mine feels like there is slop/slack between the trans and the rest of the driveline; the car will buck if I'm on/off the throttle too quickly...and the shifter is all over the place when on/off power.

First thing I'd like to do is replace the leaky engine mounts with solid, RS4 mounts and check the trans mounts OR replace them with any available upgraded (stiffer) ones. Then the SS, then the DTS. Hopefully I can tighten this pig up at least a little.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. ToyGuy installed mine and did a follow-up adjustment for free.

That EASILY offset any price difference with the Vast shifter.

Don't let anybody tell you that a short shifter does not make a difference. I went from a stock shifter to the ToyGuy and there was a HUGE improvement. In addition to the throws being shorter (see the link in my signature for details), there is much less slop in the engagement of the shifter. You will NOT be able to simulate the difference by holding the shifter one inch lower (ToyGuy has reworked the entire geometry of the shifter, not just shortened it). Because of the manner in which he has reworked the shifter, things have less slop and shifting is more precise. Yes, it is "notchier" but that's just because the shorter lever arm means you're feeling the detents that engage each gear more. The increased precision and reduced throw is more than a worthwhile trade-off for any increase in notchiness that you may experience.

As far as "drive train slop" and the role that a DTS and snub mount will play... These are different matters. I absolutely agree that a short shifter will not eliminate drivetrain play -- that's where the snub mount and DTS come in. If you've got some timing belt work coming up, it's a no brainer to do the snub mount at that time ($50 upgrade that is very easy to do when front bumper is off; very hard to do when it is not). The DTS is a more expensive upgrade, but is an easy DIY. Some people have voiced a concern that the DTS may introduce a saftety issue by binding the engine to the frame in a manner not desireable during a hard, front-end collision. Aside from this concern, it appears to be highly recommended.

So, how do you separate these two issues clearly? Let me see if I can do this succinctly...

After putting in a ToyGuy, shifting is much more precise and the shifter has much less play in it given a steady throttle state. If you take your hand off the shifter when going on and off the gas, however, you will see that it still moves back and forth. This latter movement is the "drivetrain slop" that is addressed by the snub mount and DTS upgrades.

Looks like a MA plate on your car. If so, go for the ToyGuy -- you will NOT regret it. Top notch product and free install if you're near where he lives in North Attleboro, MA

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oops. Just noticed from your earlier "Getting Chipped" post that you're in MD

Probably equalizes the value between Vast and ToyGuy. One consideration: ToyGuy did the original design mod which Vast and virtually all other's have copied. He does very high quality work.

Can't speak from experience on quality of the Vast part, but my comments above still apply.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Short shifter: Toyguy or Vast?