A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Should i chip it....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i chip it....

I Know you veterans to this whole audi thing have heard these questions time and time again on this forum, and I guess I could search the archives but i would rather have a more personal answer that fits my specific questions/ concerns.... so here it goes.

I have a 2004 A6 2.7t S-line with 49,750 miles and I want to chip it. I take great care of my turbos and so did the previous owner, never running turbos before proper oil temp, and always allowing time to spool down. I have the tiptronic naturally due to the S-line package but i never use it and never intend on it due to all the talk of tranny issues.

I would definitely purchase the APR chip, from the research I have done and the talk on these forums, my understanding is that it is one of if not the best on the market for the 2.7t... Also do i need to go ahead and replace the diverter valve if i get the chip and which brand should i go with, i hear APR or Bosch. Would a throttle body boot replacement be a good idea with the chip and which brands do you guys suggest if needed..

I haven't found a real solid exhaust for my particular car being that most manufacturers dont make a system for the tiptronic equipped A6's. Do you guys have any suggestions in that area if i were to chip should i do an exhaust or is the stock set up adequate.

And finally Do you think Mobile 1 Ow-40 full synthetic is good or should i go with something else, i need to ask the dealership what they've been putting in but im sure the transition to the 0w-40 wouldn't hurt right?

Sorry there are so many questions, I absolutely love this car and after a year of searching i've finally found the right one... I would hate to make any mistakes.. If any of you disagree with chipping these engines due to wear and tear on the turbos even after normal use please let me know... any experiences with this particular engine/car please give me input and advice... I know that audi world's forums have the members with the absolute authority on these subjects and any and all help would be greatly appreciated... thank-you, Mike
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Mobile 0W40 oil is not considered synthetic any more.. too much controversy... also it breaks down pretty quick.. so I recommend for the same price get another Synthetic oil.. search on bobistheoilguy.com

I have begun using Rotella 5W40 Synthetic..and the car runs much better.. Castrol 5W40 is also supposed to be great.. or try the Shell Synthetics..
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MikeLancaster
I have the tiptronic naturally due to the S-line package but i never use it and never intend on it due to all the talk of tranny issues.
This statement is non-sensical. Tiptronic is Audi's name for an automatic transmission that has a shift-on-demand gate. Whether you use the shift-on-demand feature or not has NOTHING to do with a decision about chipping or flashing your ECU.

The issue with the transmission in your car (and mine) is that the transmission was never designed to handle the torque produced by higher boost via a chip/flash. The nominal max torque capacity of the trans is ~318 lb. ft, according to ZF's own documentation. The various chips produce something like 350-375 lb. ft, though there was a GIAC "S" chip at one time that theoretically was designed to limit torque to spare the trans. Question is, do ya feel lucky, punk? Will your trans (torque-converter, actually) go blooey if you chip? Who knows? If you're not willing/able to handle a (minimum) $3K repair job if it does, then don't chip. If so, then have fun! 370 lb. ft. of torque is LOTS of fun in this car....
Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah... I understand that Tiptronic is the name for our car's transmissions having the ability, if we please, to manually shift on demand. The fact that I told you I don't use it was just a little background on how I treat the car, not a question directly geared toward weather the chip would affect this feature or not... I figured i would give the Audi aficionados out there some information regarding the quality of the driver and the car and maybe that would play into my questions. Thank you for your sensical input... no really, thank you..
Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I cant answer re: exhausts - but my opinion is that their value will be minimal. Chips, OTOH, can make a BIG difference, simply by re-mapping boost and fuel enrichment. Of course they come with commensurate additional strain, especially on the tip, which is marginal on torque capacity ( its aZF 5HP18/19 - you can do the research yourself).

As to oil, the M1 0W40 is pretty goo0d, except that there are numerous reports that it quickly braks down to a 0W30. If you truly run the car hard, hot and at high rpms, that is probably not the best choice. I would look to ELF/total 5W40; M1 10w40 high mileage or Castrol 10w40 syntek. Insist on ACEA A3 compliance.

I'll note that you dont specify your climate. That's a BIG issue when specifying oil. If you are in Florida - heck, go with 15w50 or 20w50. Anchorage? Sot so much.

Grant
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i think the point is that if a chip exists for the manual, it should work for the tip.

Actually, i dont know if they play with throttle lift fuel mapping, whcih would in fact be different.

Grant
Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i like the rotella stuff too. Anything with Cummins type acceptance tickles me :-)
Old 09-02-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no love for castrol 5-w40 syntec? i heard it gets a bad rap, but i thought id give it a try as my shop was out of pentosyn for a week. live in az btw
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i did nto mean to imply that. The NEWLY FORMULATED synteks meet A3 and appear to be very good. For a turbo i would go thicker - 10W40 or 20w50 depending on climate. As to 10w40 vs 5w40 - narrower bands are superior in terms of VI longevity.

Grant
Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Just Me
i did nto mean to imply that. The NEWLY FORMULATED synteks meet A3 and appear to be very good. For a turbo i would go thicker - 10W40 or 20w50 depending on climate. As to 10w40 vs 5w40 - narrower bands are superior in terms of VI longevity.

Grant

well summers comming to a close in az, well be dropping down to 90s-high 80s soon, i plan on running a 10w or 20w next summer, also i dont go like 7-10k i usually go like 5k between changes.

Quick Reply: Should i chip it....