A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

single cylinder misfire at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw this posting & coincidently my #6 plug had liberated its ground tang recently, whereas yours liberated the center electrode. So that's now 6-6-? Unfortunately, I currently have misfires on all cylinders, so I can't blame it on a single missing ground tang.
My car out of commision until fixed. I tried the flex-end magnet fishing approach without success. I know the ground end is magnetic by checking on the other plugs. Don't know if the electrode is.
Good to hear it didn't cause excessive down stream damage for you. Hope that's my case too...once I get the misfires figured out.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Actually, mine did it twice, so 6-6-6. Although second time it just flattened the ground tang.

Posted the update after seeing your dilemma so you might have more hope for no bad resulting damage.

My car needed additional unrelated work at the time. I postponed it 3 months as I did not want to spend the $ if the turbos were roached.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
Well, it has been a year since this issue. Tried the vacuum w/o success. Did not scope it. Just replaced the plug and drove it. It took a few days of driving to clear up the occasional miss due to carbon build up in that cylinder because of the lack of detonation.

It has been a daily driver since, without any issues. Guess the electrode made its ways through the system without damaging anything. Or at least nothing that has shown up in the last 15000 miles or so.

am I right in reading this post from the start, that you never actually had proof of this debris lingering in the cyclinder ? that you suspected that the debris damaged the new #6 splug ? but never actually confirmed debris inside ?

I ask for clarity so I can understand the troubleshoot process better
Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Original problem was the missing center electrode. Never found it or remnants of it. But after replacing the plug the new plug worked for a few days. Then it started missing again and I found the second plug had the ground tang flattened against the electrode. I assumed the old center electrode was still inside the cylinder and got in the way of the ground tang and flattened it. But I have no proof of why either the first plug lost the center electrode or why the second plug had the ground tang flattened.

So, no proof of why either plug got messed up. Never found any remnants of anything. Only things I did was try vacuuming the cylinder and blowing compressed air into the cylinder so it might dislodge the remnants then vacuumed again. Nothing. Put the third plug in and just drove it.

Since replacing the second plug there have been zero problems with this issue for the last 15000 miles.