A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

So a BMW salesdude is trying to size me up and ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So a BMW salesdude is trying to size me up and ...

he asks what I'm driving. Audi A6, sez I. He takes a beat and says "our real competition is Mercedes."

Ah yes, that reknowned choice of sporting drivers everywhere! And this is from a combo BMW/Audi dealership.

I guess I've gotten spoiled, but during my test drive of a 525i I'm impressed by the power but annoyed at the jiggling ride and wind noise. It was one of those infamous "exec demo" cars that was lightly detailed and reeked of ciggie smoke. I can't believe they don't tell their reps to cool it with stinking up cars that will shortly be sold!

Oh, and I noticed a guy and his family testdriving a used 750 that had a big-*** BMW memo on the window proclaiming that this particular car was a "goodwill buyback." They should have just used LEMON, it takes less space!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:10 AM

Default Well, when it comes to numbers MB and BMW are allot closer to...

each other than Audi. Especially the E vs 5 and S vs 7. Audi is gaining, but still behind. The A8 seems the weak sister in the Audi model line up and that's where, imho Audi next needs to step it up. Sport-wise Audi has made great strides, but the big sedans are still dominated by MB and BMW.

I still dislike the new 7 rear.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, MB IS there real competition...

These things are status-symbols to most...therefore MB and BMW are competitors...not Audi...Audis are just pimped up VWs in most people's minds (who know Audi and VW are related), in other's minds, Audis are either unknown or "sudden unintended acclerators"!

You were IMPRESSED by the power of a 525?! Really, I find them painfully and annoyingly underpowered. Cigarette smoke, on the other hand, in enticing

I'm amazed they had a sticker on a 750 stating it was a "goodwill buyback"...astounding!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:16 AM

I guess you're right in terms of tonnage
Old 03-25-2002, 10:17 AM

Default The warning is obviously a CYA move

which makes sense legally, but who on earth would buy a car knowing that? And this poor guy seemed really interested, I was so tempted to put my life at risk and jump between him and his salesdude and tell him to run like the wind. But that would be like getting between a pit bull and his din-din.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey phred, he's RIGHT! BMW IS no competition for Audi!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's even worse when you work there, and want to warn customers away from a certain car !
Old 03-25-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I cannot agree in any way that the A8 is the "weak sister"...that is, unless...

you mean purely in sales figures. IMO, the A8 is good competition for the 740i, but not quite up to the technologic "wizardly" of the new 745i, but that will be addressed in approximately one year.
The A8, on the other hand, easily defeats the S-class, which to me, is a big disappointment. Cheap finish materials on the inside and a big wallowing ride are not sporting in any way. The A8 is a much finer luxury sedan. Perhaps not with as many bells and whistles (reclining rear seats) as the MB, but also comes in a good $15-25k lower priced!!! The MB S430 and S500 are not sporting sedans...they are luxury sedans, pure and simple. The S55 is another topic and is also in another price-class ($100k). The S8 is good competition for the S55, in a way, and comes in a good $25k cheaper. The S8 is a much better sports sedan than a 740i, but I cannot comment on the 745i since I have yet to drive it.

Dominated by BMW and MB, yes...but that is purely numbers, not quality or sportiness. And, that is NOT gonna change anytime soon.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:39 AM

Default We're very pleased with both my 4.2 and the wife's allroad...

thus we've passed on all MB and BMW products since '00.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:44 AM

Default I agree, and one other thing, you couldn't enjoy your S-class anyway - it's always in the shop!

EVERYONE I know with an S500 or S430 is driving a loaner car more than their own...

Quick Reply: So a BMW salesdude is trying to size me up and ...