A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

So what are your favorite ALL season tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what are your favorite ALL season tires?

Its about time to get some new rubber, and I'm curious what people seem to think work well? All season for sure...Lots of snow last year. I think the A6 has the ability to round the edges of any tire, which is why I need some new ones soon. Very unsettling cornering in the snow/ice last year on Michelin MXV4's! I tagged a curb going around a corner at a light(while the Audi in front of me not only made the same corner, but stayed in the left lane on the road we were turning onto) and almost slid into the side of someone once while attempting to go around a corner at less then 5 mph. I would love a set of snow tires, but funds require all seasons. Hell if anyone has snow tires on some Avus wheels I might be interested...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirelli PZeroNero M&S

actually considering going back to those after the Michelin Pilot PS2 summer tires melted away so quickly.

The Pirelli PZeroNero M&S are great all season tires, do not wear quickly, quiet tread, good grip on wet and dry. There are other tires that may grip a bit better in snow/ice, but I like the Pirellis.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

What about snow? I think pirelli says "Occasional light snow"....
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default KHUMO ASX were great on my A4, tempeted to see on the A6. plus...

they are cheap.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They are fine for snow - but they're not a snow tire. Still, last year I

ran mine until January (too busy to swap until then) and that was in Boston and they were fine.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll do some searching
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Falken Ziex 512.. now on my fourth set..

They handle everything I throw at them from a Limerock track day, to NYC Commuting in all weather. I keep them at 45 PSI and get even 30K mile wear. Z rated, $85.00, you can't beat it.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I put some Ecsta LX Platinum on my Volvo...They are great tires!

I've only seen one rain and seemed fine. The car doesn't see many miles and the tires will probably outlast the car. V-rated for like $80... I might try them in the snow, see if they are any good....
Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default definitely not as good as dedicated snows, and some others may be a bit better...

...but then the others may not be as good on the dry/wet stuff for the majority of the year. The Pirellis, IMHO, were the best mix for a high performance all-season tire.

For many folks, an all-season tire really means not great for any season in comparison to dedicated summer/winter setups. You give up some grip from summer tread and winter tread, but you also gain a tire that is serviceable year round.

I had no issues with my Pirellis in light snow, never tried it in icy or deep snow conditions. I've always had a dedicated winter setup.

However, I am going back to the all-season Pirellis for my "summer" setup because of my experience with those tires as a summer setup in the past. They do not wear fast, but still give me plenty of traction when needed for my style of driving.

My decision is based on the following facts:

I ran two full spring/summer/fall seasons on Pirelli PZeroNero M&S and had no complaints. They handled fine for my style of driving. I just sold those tires (mounted on RS6 wheels) with about 8/32" tread remaining.

My current summer tires, Micheling Pilot PS2, I've run for just over one spring/summer/fall season (one extra fall last year). EXACT SAME DRIVING as was done on my previous setup, and the Michelins are now down to the wear bars. At roughly $300+ a pop new (plus mounting and balancing), I will not be buying these again. Spending $roughly $1400 for tires every year is not in the game plan.

Yes, I check the pressure frequently (every other week).

Anyway, just my two cents...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Those got great ratings from Consumer Repost last year...

...I think rated #1 between performance and price.

Quick Reply: So what are your favorite ALL season tires?