A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

some musings on Audi's, the autobahn, and why our cars are the way they are

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some musings on Audi's, the autobahn, and why our cars are the way they are

Last week I spent more time on the Autobahn than on the last two trips combined, and it really focused me on why so many people on here are missing the point about their cars.

We are really lucky to have cars that were designed and built in a driving environment that is totally different than here. The reality is that there is not really a need in Germany for something that goes 0-60 fast (even though it is cool that the traffic lights turn yellow before they turn green to let you get you car in gear).

On the autobahn, cars need to be able to go from 60-120 well, be stable at high speeds, have the ability to go from 120-60 well,have ergonomics that allow control at high speeds, and be relatively efficient at over 100mph.

These cars have evolved in a high speed environment, and as most of us who have had the opportunity to do some high speed driving in them, we can see that.

Even on tight tracks, the cars are great, but the reality is that they are not designed for this primarily. The suspension on A4/S4 and A6's that feels soft and floaty, works well on the autobahn at 100mph by not beating you to death during long stretched behind the wheel.

Whatever the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for our cars end up being, it is a by product of a design for an environment that does not reward good 0-60 times, so really we should not dwell on it. Believe me, if the German car engineers wanted to change the gearing and suspension to do 0-60 times on our cars, at the expense of 60-120, they would.

The fact that an A6 4.2 does not do a 1/4 mile much under 15 seconds means nothing. The car will absolutely fly 60-120, and smoke most cars that will beat it quite handily in a stop light race.

For those of you with Tiptronic cars, try driving at exactly 62mph, which is 100kmh and the usual speed limit on speed limited parts of the autobahn, find a nice safe open stretch of freeway, and then punch it. Watch how that tiptronic that does not seem so responsive downshifts crisply. Watch how the engine jumps into the exact middle of the power band, watch how the 1st up shift puts it right back in the middle of it, feel how the car seems to smooth out. You are probably going close to 100 by now. Try stomping the brakes, and really feel how fast you can get back to 60, and be under control. Tjis is what long stretches of driving on the Autobahn is like, and what the car was designed to do.

Trying this in a Volvo or any of the Japanese luxury models will just not be the same, because they are not designed for this. Some people may see Lexus/Infinity and some Acura's as competition, but on the autobahn, they would not rate, and in fact not be really satisfying.

So take some pride in the fact that you have a car where you can do a drive over 600 miles in a day, at high speeds (web ever possible ;-) ) like I did in my rented A8 and not feel tired or beaten up by a harsh ride.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post. Well put.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richtig! (Correct!)
Old 09-05-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: some musings on Audi's, the autobahn, and why our cars are the way they are

I agree!
I spent 3 weeks driving the Autobahn and Autostrada in my rented A4 1.9 TDI, and it was great. at 200+ KPH it was fine. hit the brakes because of a truck, and then right back to 200kph and on to the next place.

The TDI was awesome, when is AUDI bringing one stateside?
I don't want VW!
Old 09-05-2003, 02:59 PM

Default you get the goods yet?

welcome home.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: some musings on Audi's, the autobahn, and why our cars are the way they are

"So take some pride in the fact that you have a car where you can do a drive over 600 miles in a day, at high speeds (web ever possible ;-) ) like I did in my rented A8 and not feel tired or beaten up by a harsh ride."

Bingo. The 4.2 comes into its own on the highway. I was on the road constantly in my 4.2 the last 2.5 months, putting about 7000 miles on it. My trips were minimum 5 hours (350 miles) and max 8 hours (560 miles) normally travelling 80 - 85 mph.

Not once did I feel depleted or worn out when I got out of the car. In fact, sometimes I got into the car with lower back pain only to have it be gone by the time I reached my destination. :-) I love those sport seats. And putting the seat warmer on "1" helps as well.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

just got back in town today - going to the office tomarrow
Old 09-05-2003, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Right on... most people don't understand...

Best US driving I ever did was cross-country on open roads. Suddenly my 12v 100 didn't seem like such a dog after a 1,000-mile day at 80-100.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Amen brother, this is what I have been saying all along, for the last 10 years or so..

Audis are best at speed. They are never very good at drag racing. Possible exceptions are the 1.8t A4s, S4s, and possibly the Sport Quattro.. Get on the highway, and there are few cars with the poise and comfort of an Audi.

I have family in Germany, and have had the pleasure of dirving there a lot, in a variety of cars, sadly, the most exciting of them all was my friend's e30 320i BMW. That was the car we drove to Wurtsburg on the A3, then over to Hockenheim, then on to Heidelburg, and back up to Offenbach (where my grandfather lived)in one day. We didn't get to drive on the Hockenheim ring though.. :-(

It doesn't take much of a powerful car to cruise at over 200 kmh.. getting to 220 is another story though.. even a 320i can do it given enough room though.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fantastic post!

Some of the best driving I've done in both of my Audis have been on the highway.

Notable drives include a trip from Boston, MA to Burlington, VT in my 100CS. I paired up with a 200 Avant and an urS4; we were completely comfortable between 95 - 110 mph on an empty highway.

Also notable, my wife and I took a couple out to dinner in my A6 2.8; we travelled down I-95 to Providence, RI . By the end of the night, the male guest wanted an Audi, and he's a Volvo sedan owner.

Great post and spot on description. Thanks!

Quick Reply: some musings on Audi's, the autobahn, and why our cars are the way they are