A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

soon to be new owner of S6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soon to be new owner of S6

I will be getting it on Thurs after they take care of a few minor dings (I couldn't see them) and refinish the other set of wheels,
Thanks to Jay I had a much better time in negotiation, but still paid more than I probably should have, but with two NEW sets of tires (couldn't chose unfortunately), allseason mats and a few extra oil changes, I'm just glad the dickering is over, I just plain told them, I'd put the winters on my car, and take the back seat out instead, they came down another 1,500, and threw in my extras,
I'm coming from a TT (long story) and like to play with the car - autox/schools,
I'm thinking its a little big to autox, but may take it anyway, so I can get a feel for the size of the car...How do the brakes really hold up under that type of condition, what should I anticipate to change out?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Congrats, many here with S6s track their cars, I suggest you invest in a good set of ...

track pads and tires before tracking it though.IMO
Old 12-06-2005, 03:18 AM

Congrats and welcome!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool. What color?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Brakes are unacceptable under tracking sessions. Parking lot auto crosses are fine though.

You will boil the fluid and overheat the brakes. You can run a high temp fluid but the car is just too heavy and you are generally carrying greater speeds into heavy braking zones because of the speed of the car. As a result, folks in this forum with either stock 2.7T's or 4.2's may not experiencec the same brake failure. Try the RS6 forum.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Second. I've tracked my S6 twice on the stock brake set-up.

The first time, she lasted about a day and a half. The second time, I barely made it through the first day. Both times, my weekend ended with a few scary laps under extreme fade. I can't say I wasn't warned though. Aftermarket brakes are a must if you are considering regular track time.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the brakes are fine for occasional track day......

it's really the pads that are a compromise.... and can get really sloppy when hot.

having written that, still on 1st set of factory fronts for an 02 at 30k with a couple of track events on these pads. still it'd be wise to take an extra set for a event and then consider different pads...sure you will wear out the stock rotors eventually but by then one should have a better understanding of the car.

then a wise decision can be made on aftermarket stoppers.

cheers
Old 12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: the brakes are fine for occasional track day......

esmith - first of all, congrats on the purchase

As for brakes, I took my S6 Avant out for a track day with absolutely no prep (couldn't get my act together to get the race car on the trailer the night before the event so I decided to take the wagon at the last minute) and had no brake problems at all.. That said, if I were to make a habit of tracking the S, I'd probably invest in a set of track pads and better fluid. YMMV, the track(s) you visit and how you drive have a great influence on brake wear, this was a closed course, etc. etc. etc..
Old 12-06-2005, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default YMMV. You're still on original factory rotors and pads after 30k miles and several track days?!?

I've got 2+ years, 4 track days (actually closer to 2.75) and 44,xxx miles and I'm on my second set of rotors all around, second set of rear pads and third set of front pads. All but the third set of front pads were warranty-covered. I must weigh more than you.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rears replaced last year.......but i drive mostly uphill, and have a flintstone auxillary brake.....

fronts today......

i'll start another post on service today.

cheers

Quick Reply: soon to be new owner of S6