A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

this sounds like a hassle in the making.... (long/boring/picture-less)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this sounds like a hassle in the making.... (long/boring/picture-less)

So I'm coming home from school here about two weeks ago and I notice a very faint knock/creak/rattle/rub coming from the front left wheel area. The noise was very faint as the radio & a/c had to be off just to hear it. I was concerned but was leaving for spring break, which at the time took priority. The car sat in the garage for the last week, only being driven into town by my mom a few times (50 miles at the most). When we got back my dad was able to hear the noise too, and made an appointment at our indy to have it checked out.

In this short time, the noise has gotten progressively louder and can now be heard very easily, even with cabin noise. It seems to be getting worse by the day. I did a search and saw that carbonlord had some issues in the past but his problem seemed to deal with bumps. Mine does it <b>all</b> the time, bump or not... it is much more noticeable at low speeds and when turning. It is a very unhealthy sound... more of a knock/creak. Creak is probably the best word if I had to choose.

The indy originally said the joint in the strut probably just needed some lube injected into it with a syringe-type device. They checked it this morning and said that without guessing and replacing many parts, they can't do anything for it now. The mechanics also said they've never seen anything like that strut, as it has multiple joints and appears to be incredibly well built. (never seen it before? great!) So, they say to wait awhile and when it gets worse they'll be able to find out what exact part it is.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any ideas? I know it is hard without being in the car and hearing the noise... but has there been any experience with this? Are there any common issues with the struts/suspension that could cause such a noise? I'm at a loss, and really don't want to "wait and see."
Old 03-23-2007, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The upper control-arms are known to wear out on these cars, but that noise is usually bump-related..

...OTOH, if it's a "creaking" noise, that sounds like it might be the culprit.

Also, if it gets worse with turning, it could be the CV joint, though you'd generally see the black CV joint grease all over the inside of the wheel and on the suspension components, plus a torn CV boot, if that were it.

HTH.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks, i'll keep that in mind...

The noise is usually constant, but bumps certainly exaggerate it. As for the CV joints, they're in good shape. The mechanics seemed to be focusing solely on the strut... perhaps the control arms deserve a look too. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:43 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default First, find a new shop who has seen an Audi before. This is not exactly a new design...

been around for over 10 years now. second, it's probably just a creaky ball joint. You can try to inject some grease into it, or just replace the arm.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Could be a CV joint as well. They will rattle, but usually only on turns. Most likley control arms.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default With a Bad C/V you get a klunk or clicking noise on sharp turns.

Never heard on make any other type of noise. I have also seen one go bad were the boot was still in good shape. I would follow the suspension/ball joint theory.