A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Speaker Probelm...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Probelm...

Hey,

I always thought my speakers sounded like garbage because I didn't have the bose premium package but I found out that the rear speakers don't even work when I turned the fader to the rear. As I turned it, I noticed the music was being turned down. When I got all the way to the rear, there was no music at all. I'm assuming there's a bad connection somewhere or there's no speakers at all in the back because if the speakers were set up but blown, they would still work to an extent.

What should I do?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

wire in a spare speaker and see if it works. If it does, replace both speakers. Blown speakers are, umm, blown. They often don't work at all.

If that doesn't work, you might have a bad fader or a bad amp. I'd just replace the entire head unit. Chances are you can find one on fleabay for a $100. Or pull your head unit and find a shop that repairs them, probably for about $125 or so plus shipping.

I just replaced the headunit on my M3 (CD/Business) for $80. LOL...as I was taking the old one out of the dash a little bitty gold screw dropped out of the head unit...it was the screw that held the off/on/volume switch to the head unit chassis. I put the new one in and repaired the old so now I have a spare...according to karma my head unit should NEVER fail because I have one to spare.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I've never seen a blown speaker that didn't make some kind of sound, but it's possible. Not knowing much about the stock stereo I would guess it's the head unit. Does the stock radio have external amps or crossovers? It could also be a bad amp or wiring if applicable. Either way I'd invest the $100 or so dollars to get a used deck off Ebay, after first checking out the rear speakers like JohnB said.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is an amplifier for the rear speakers, located near the right rear wheel-well (i don't know your year). You have to take a few things apart, I think it may be attached to the subwoofer back there, on the back side.

Because JUST the rear speakers are not working, the most probable cause of this problem (i.e. occam's razor) is that there is something wrong with this amp (because it controls both rear speakers which are not working). I would definitely check it out first before buying anything else (check the inputs/ouputs of the amp - if no input, you have a problem on the leading side, the receiver and stuff; if no output, then chances are you just need a new amp).