A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is Sport Pkg worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Sport Pkg worth it?

Purchasing a 2001 A6 2.7T and deciding whether to go with the Sport Pkg or not. Any thoughts as to the benefits of this package? How would you compare the sport seats to the standard seats in terms of comfort -- especially for long drives?
Old 01-19-2001, 08:12 AM
Elder Member

Default I didn't find the sport seats any more comfortable

That isn't even what they are for. If anything, touring (non-sport seats) would be more comfortable.

The sport seats basically have somewhat larger bolsters. This helps hold you in turns. On the other hand, if you don't make a lot of turns, then all the bolsters do is make it slightly more difficult to enter and exit the car.

When I bought my car, the sport package only included seats and wheels. So I skipped it. Now that it includes a sport suspension, I highly recommend it. Assuming you would like a slighty stiffer ride.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think so (more)

You need to test drive both a sport package car and a standard car and decide for yourself. I think you will find that the sport package brings a signficant handling improvement over the standard car at a very reasonable cost. However, many people here have found that the sport seats are too confining - you really need to try them out yourself. I got the PST (enhanced sport package) on my car and love the way it looks and drives. The BBS wheels alone are worth the $1500 MSRP.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd get it, but it depends on your priorities....

As has been well documented on this board, the general consensus is that the standard suspension is a smidge too soft. My car DOESN'T have the sports package, but I sometimes wish it did. The tradeoff for me is that the ride smoothness is really exceptional with the standard suspension. The standard seats are comfortable for both me (6'2", 195lbs) and my wife (5'3", many less lbs. ;-) ). It's worth the effort to find both versions to drive before buying...
Old 01-19-2001, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Is Sport Pkg worth it?

I think the comfort of the sport package is better for those who are leaner then those who might want a little more room...

I however, love them - not as good as the seats in the old and current S cars but worth it for me...

Good luck
Old 01-19-2001, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I didn't find the sport seats any more comfortable

I think you're right about the old "Sport Pkg" offering only the Sport seats and Twin Spoke Sport Alloy wheels. This was pre-2001 2.7T's. In fact, I pulled out my sticker from the black leather case and it makes no mention of a Sport suspension. If I had the choice, I would also opt for the sport suspension. I purchased my 2000 used however, so I didn't have the choice. With a new purchase, I highly recommend the top Sport Pkg. Option (seats, suspension and 17" wheels).

One other comment about SnowToy's comment about the Sport seats being for "leaner" builds. I'm 6'-2" and about 200-205 lbs. I'm in pretty good shape but certainly would be labeled as "lean". I have no trouble with the seats at all and in fact find them rather comfortable. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Rick
Old 01-19-2001, 09:03 AM

Yes, if you want a noticeable stiffer suspension and seats with more lateral support. I do not think the seats are more comfortable, but they do provide more lateral support if you are driving in the twisties. These are obviously very heavy cars, and if you do any "sporting" type driving, I would definitely get the sport package. A word of caution--the sport package is suppose to include "performance tires," as opposed to the all-seasons that come standard. When I took delivery of my 2001 2.7T, which included the sports package, the tires were Goodyear Touring tires. By contacting Goodyear I discovered that these were all season tires (and not very good ones at that). After a 3 week running battle with AoA and my dealer, I receive without charge the tires of my choice. My point is, make sure you clarify with your dealer the tires you will receive.
Old 01-19-2001, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As ZCD2.7T said, it depends on your priorities. The sport seats ARE too confining for me. I simply don't fit comfortably. I might have otherwise opted for the sport suspension, though I must say I love the smoothness of the standard suspension, and even with that suspension, the A6 is a very good handling luxury sedan.

I don't think you'll be able to answer the question for yourself unless you spend a little time driving each. Everybody's different, and we each have individual likes and dislikes.
Old 01-19-2001, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

which performance tires did you eventually get?
Old 01-19-2001, 09:26 AM

Actually, since I took delivery in early November, and since I run winter tires in the winter, and summers in the summer---I had the dealer install Dunlop Winter Sport M2s 225/50--16--at absolutely no charge. I will run Bridgestone RE730s 235/45-17s in the summer.

Quick Reply: Is Sport Pkg worth it?