A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Sport pkg worth it for 2.7T?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport pkg worth it for 2.7T?

I am planning on buying a 2001 A6 2.7T at the end of this month, but I cannot decide whether or not the sports package is worth it or not. When I test drove the car, it didnt have the sport package, so the seats were normal and comfortable, and all in all the ride and performance seemed great. But, in the new 2001 model, the sport package now has the new suspention, which is suppost to be great, but I am only interested in getting the car with the package for the suspention, not the seats or the tires/rims (replacing). Are the sports seats comfortable when cruising? (Never test drove the car with em.) Because I would only want to get the sports package if it was comfortable as well as a better handler.

Also, if I <I>Do</I> get the sports package, is the 6 speed manual in order, or should I stick with the tiptronic?

Hope someone can help!<p>3gG0
Old 06-13-2000, 07:46 AM

Default Very subjective.

I love the sport seats and the suspension, but others have posted about them being too narrow for larger frames. Most all are unanimous about the handling enhancement, but you should sit in the seats yourself to be sure. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2000, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Sport pkg worth it for 2.7T?

The sport seats are too confining for me, but I'm a wide guy. If you're not, everyone seems to love the PSK option. The only way you will know if the combination feels right to you is to drive one.
Old 06-13-2000, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Sport pkg worth it for 2.7T?

I have a 200 2.7T PSK 6sp. I find the seats very comfortable (I'm 6', 175lbs) and the suspension much better than the standard. I didn't care for the wheels and replaced them. I also like the 6sp - I never owned an automatic yet - but replaced the original shifter with the shorter UUC shifter.
Old 06-13-2000, 08:11 AM

Make that "2000", as in year...
Old 06-13-2000, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Sport pkg worth it for 2.7T? (sorta long)

I drove all three MY2000 variants before deciding. Here's my take:

Regular 2.7T - Excellent power, the seats were comfortable although not very supportive. You don't really need them to be since the standard "touring" tires they include roll over easily and seem to accentuate body roll while cornering. They also seem to induce some mild push (understeer) in hard cornering. The ride/track was not as sporty as I had hoped on the highway.

2.7T w/PSP - Wow!! What a difference good tires make! And the seats! Oh, the seats! My 8-months pregnant wife loved 'em. (And in case you don't know, carrying around about 35lbs of extra weight makes you VERY finicky about seats. My leather chair and ottoman was usurped by her long ago in favor of our less supportive couch!) I would agree that the sport seats are definitely geared towards thinner frames, which we both have. This car had the SP9000's and it felt like a completely different car. Ride was much more stable (without being harsh or overly firm) and response during maneuvers was greatly increased. Still some body roll/nosedive but less aggravating since the tires are so much better.

2.7T w/PSK - Somebody pinch me!! The stiffer springs lower the car by about .75" and significantly reduce the body roll/nosedive. The ride is firmer yet still far from harsh. Nosedive was almost non-existent under normal stopping conditions. Now you can enjoy those twisting, winding back roads with the whole family aboard! Very fun to drive, and the sport seats definitely provide the required support.

But don't take my word for it, drive them and see for yourself. You can always do tires/springs afterwards but its probably cheaper and less aggravating to just order them up front. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2000, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you the 6 spd, get the sport pack.

The extra support from the seats help protect the lower back.

Unless you where looking for the cush of a Lexus, please consider the sport package. The only downsides ( as mentioned ) are the narrower seats, and less ground clearance. Are these a downside ? You decide.
Old 06-13-2000, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You definitely need to try the car with the spt. pkg. and check out the seats. I have them in my 4.2

and find them firm but very confortable for long periods of time. If you like them, the pkg is a bargain; get it.
Old 06-13-2000, 10:14 AM

Exactly my take on the car.
Old 06-13-2000, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default One thing to keep in mind....

One thing to keep in mind is that the seats will break-in a little. I weigh 220 lbs and at 6'2", thought they were a little snug around my thighs at first. However, it seems to me that they have broken in some, because they are now just very comfortable. I know this makes things difficult, but just keep in mind that they aren't going to get any snugger unless you get bigger

Quick Reply: Sport pkg worth it for 2.7T?