A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stalled while driving, won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled while driving, won't restart

Hello all...

Been searching but haven't found the exact symptom I had before my car (02 A6 2.7T) stalled and wouldn't restart.

At the beginning of last week I noticed the engine would crank longer than normal before starting. From the middle of the week on, it would take two attempts before she'd start. On Friday night while driving down the road, it stalled and I coasted to a stop. I only remember the battery light coming on, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it wouldn't restart. It cranks but that's it. Had it towed. 2 codes come up:

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 4B0 820 043 AD
Component: A6-Klimavollautomat 0104
Coding: 00010
Shop #: WSC 02325

1 Fault Found:
01206 - Signal for Duration of Ignition Off Time
27-00 - Implausible Signal

Explanation -
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01206

Plus this from removing the battery (I believe):

1 Fault Found:
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Tried jumping - no luck.
Switched batteries - no luck.
Checked fuses.
Had about 80 miles of fuel left.
GIAC chipped for 50,000+ miles
Can't hear fuel pump running when cranking

Not sure if this is helpful but: After it did start last week, it drove ok for the most part - I've had an ongoing issue with it stuttering or hesitating while driving, even under light acceleration for over a year. Hoping to get this fixed I took it to the garage last month and they replaced the torn diverter valve and a leaking inter cooler. Unfortunately this did absolutely nothing to help the problem. This past week I was having slightly more hesitation and stuttering problems than normal, but I'm not sure if it's related.

This situation is the closest I've found to mine. Any thoughts before I order a fuel pump???
https://forums.audiworld.comshowthre...+Ignition+Time

Last month's garage bill was $1400 so i'm hoping to avoid taking it back. Any help is MUCH appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

1400 for torn diverter valve and "leaky" intercooler? the DV costs 50 a piece and literally take a screw drive and 5 min of your time to replace, the intercooler leak can be fixed with a 10 doller tube of jb weld.... 1400 dollars! wtf mate you check belts, ie timing?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
1400 for torn diverter valve and "leaky" intercooler? the DV costs 50 a piece and literally take a screw drive and 5 min of your time to replace, the intercooler leak can be fixed with a 10 doller tube of jb weld.... 1400 dollars! wtf mate you check belts, ie timing?
Haha, yeah... sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like that was the only thing done. Post was getting long, just wanted to mention the relevant stuff. Tires alone were $600, there were a few other things done.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Timing belt or fuel pump.

PS: Jumping is bad...mmmkay?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had sort of the same problem in my 2001 a6 2.7t. It would shout off out of nowhere and wouldn't start for awhile. I ended up changing the engine speed sensor or also known as the crank position sensor. Problem went away. Hope this helps.

Moon
Old 04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input everyone! Replaced the fuel pump and she started right up. The stuttering and hesitation problem is all but gone now too!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default my car wont start died two times after restart

well i also changed my fuel pump it started after but now wont start like is not gettin gas brand new pump. so you think the speed sensor went also. If i unplugged it woul the car start. i need to get my car home and have no other way but a tow rope to tow it.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, almost certainly one of those but with the hesitation issues I would almost guarantee it is fuel pump.

Try thumping the bttom of the fuel tank with your fist then see if you can hear the pump running when cranking, sometimes it is possible to get it running again for a short while.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

well i hooked a 12v source to the pump so it turn on now when i turn my ignition. the pump dont prime or anything i dont even hear it in the back fuse is good i just bought a new relay so idk why that would blow unless it did how would you test relay
Old 05-25-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default pump works on

if i hook my fuel pump to another 12v source it turns on just fine. i tested wires and im getting no power from the car to the pump its not turning on what would cause that a relay ??????? anything else like a old ecu but if i changed the ecu and problem presist what else would have to be the relay i got one from carquest new it was like 47 bucks could it have fried if the car was drove with out the fuel pump fuse plugged in.

Quick Reply: Stalled while driving, won't restart