A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Steering column rubbing sound....I should have known not to "brag"...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column rubbing sound....I should have known not to "brag"...

in a recent post that I'd had absolutely no problems so far (though I did knock on wood when I said it!). Just this morning when turning out of my driveway I started hearing a sound from the steering column when turning the wheel about 180 deg. Just a soft, brief scraping sound that sounded like plastic against plastic inside the column. Anyone else had this happen? I guess it just means I'll have to take it back to the dealer prior to needing the first service...the sound will drive me nuts until then. Just a pain!
Old 08-17-2000, 10:13 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Mine started this week. Haven't had time to really listen to it

Happened yesterday pulling into parking slot at work. Will try to listen tonight. Did sound like something rubbing though.
I think my car is a "hypochondriac Audious autoious"!!! LOL either that or sympathy pains!!!
Old 08-17-2000, 10:27 AM

Default LOL ,, hope mine doesn't catch that "virus" that yours has had recently!

Did you ever get your sunroof fixed?
Old 08-17-2000, 10:41 AM

Default Check Power Steering Fluid

I'm no mechanic, but I also briefly experienced what you described, and I checked my power steering reservoir. It was low -- and apparently had been since delivery, because there is no evidence of a leak.

Anyway, I added some of the Audi mineral oil and haven't had a reoccurence.

Hope your fix is as simple.
Old 08-17-2000, 10:48 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look .
Old 08-17-2000, 10:53 AM
Craggy Old Man

Default Nope, sunroof wont be fixed till the 24th, earliest I could schedule.

Also, This week I went to the service department and let them listen to that high pitched siren sound from the ? aux fan. The first words spoken were " Oh, thats normal!" To which I said, it did not have that sound for the first 2 2-1/2 months I owned this car. Also my friends new A6 does not make this sound. Answer - " But, its normal" Well on the 24th I will ask the service department to replace the offending fan, and will probably have to fight to get it replaced, because - ITS NORMAL.
Old 08-17-2000, 12:22 PM

Default Normal is as normal does....ask them why no other car you've had makes that noise and

why, exactly, this car makes that sound. It might be fun to see how they try to explain it. FYI, I do hear it when I shut the engine off and it sounds like a jet turbine winding down, but I haven't heard it yet while driving or stopped at a light, etc. Maybe I just need a few more miles until it's "broken in" ! I've only got 2,000 now.
Old 08-17-2000, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Normal is as normal does....ask them why no other car you've had makes that noise and

Mine has gotten to be noisier, but usually only when the ambient temp is north of 80. And not always then. It's always sounded like a jet engine shutting down when I turn it off in the garage. So far, I'm not concerned. Actually, I think it's kind of a hoot.
If it did it all the time then I'd be more concerned.
Old 08-17-2000, 06:36 PM

Default I had a light metal-like rub in my steering wheel/column.....

It turned out to be a (something) spring related to the air-bag. The spring was bent and now the noise is gone. That was fine, but what bugs me is that when I got the car back last Friday, the steering wheel/column now has a plastic-like rub that did not exist before. I took it to the service department manager on Monday and he came unglued when I demonstrated it to him. I think the mechanic is in a little trouble now ;-) They are looking at the car again on the 24th. That was the earliest I could get the car to them.
Old 08-17-2000, 06:37 PM

I should have said they replaced the spring which cured that noise.

Quick Reply: Steering column rubbing sound....I should have known not to "brag"...