A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Steve McC wax test was great, but ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2000, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve McC wax test was great, but ...

The wax test is great for all you folks that have "new" Audi's, but I drive a "green"1996 A6Q. I bought it used and it has horrible swirl marks. Has anyone had any success in getting rid of swirl marks? I see that Zaino has a Z5 Polish for swirl marks and fine scratches, has anyone used this polish?
Old 07-12-2000, 07:26 PM

Default Same question... Please also see my response to the wax test msg, below...

I have a 1996 "Pearl" white A6 Q with some moderate swirl marks... (Can't complain too much, since the original owner obviously kept the car VERY clean and cleaned it often, but unfortunately this caused the swirl marks).

Also, are there any differences in the finishes on the "original" A6 models (1995-97) versus the "new" models (98-present)?

I have read that polymer waxes look cloudy on many German finishes (again, please see my response to Steve McC's wax test post). I'm not sure whether to go for a carnauba wax (like Mother's California Gold) or Zaino!

I'd like to reduce or eliminate my swirl marks and get a nice, "wet look" glossy finish without spending 20 hours per week waxing and detailing my car for the rest of my life... I like to spend a couple of hours every Sunday morning communing with my cars, and that's enough for me!

Would much appreciate any insight into this issue...

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2000, 07:31 PM

Default "original" A6 owners -- do we need our own separate forum?

Just wondering -- seems like most of us 95/96/97 A6 owners keep bringing this up over and over and over again... So many posts here may or may not apply to us, since our cars have some significant differences from the 1998 and later A6's... Seems we keep saying "but what about the pre-1998 A6..." in so many posts!

Am I overreacting? If so, I'll drop the subject. Just wanted to ask the question...

Audi World, are you listening?
Old 07-13-2000, 03:40 AM

Default Yes we need our own forum already...

I am getting tired of asking. I tried to suggest new forums for past models, like a UrS4/S6 forum (since the UrS4 doesn't fit in the S4/RS4 forum, and the UrS6 certainly doesn't fit here) and then either a 12v forum for all 12v models, or a 100/A6 12v forum... I've hinted to that here a few times, and e-mailed Jason Teller twice (he never responded) and nothing has changed.

We're outnumbered about 1000:1 and about 90% of the people here seem to have new 2.7TTs... I wish they were listening but so far it appears that they have not been.<p>-----
<b>Muhammad
<a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=2830">100CS</a> & <a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=5188">A6Q</a></b>
Old 07-13-2000, 03:45 AM

Default Mothers Gold will take away about 90%...

...of the swirl marks. My 100CS had some bad swirls a couple of weeks ago and one coat of mothers did the trick. If I wax two straight weekends the cars look great. Doesn't take really long, maybe an hour and a half or so.

I haven't used Zaino... after I found Mothers I haven't used anything else for more than one panel to test it, then went back to Mothers.

And mine are green as you know...<p>-----
<b>Muhammad
<a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=2830">100CS</a> & <a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=5188">A6Q</a></b>
Old 07-13-2000, 03:56 AM

Is Mothers Gold hard to apply?
Old 07-13-2000, 05:21 AM

Default I've read that Mother's Gold is hard to remove...

What did you think, Muhammad?
I actually bought a can of Mother's Gold (the cleaner/wax is what you use, right?) but after reading the reviews I took it back and started to consider buying some Zaino Z5 and Z2 (Z5 to reduce swirl marks and Z2 for a final shine).

I want to wax my car but I don't know what to use!
Old 07-13-2000, 06:03 AM

Default I use Liquid Carnauba Cleaner Wax...

I don't use the can, and I haven't tried their other products because I haven't been able to find them easily around here.

The Mothers system would work like this, if you went by the book:

Step 1: Wash & Dry (also bug/tar removal if any)
Step 2: Pre-Wax Cleaner
Step 3: Sealer & Glaze
Step 4: Scratch Remover if needed
Step 5: 1-3 Coats Pure Carnauba Wax

Of course I take the quick route with just the cleaner/wax after washing... but it works great. Easy to apply, then by the time you are done with half the car, you're ready to remove... takes two passes to remove/buff but I don't find it hard to remove really. Just don't get any water near your polishing towels and that will save some hassle. It takes me about two hours to hand wash and remove all bugs from the exterior, hand dry, re-clean exterior glass, and then apply, remove, and polish one coat of Mothers cleaner/wax. I usually don't need more than one coat... that takes care of most surface scratches and swirls. I could post some pictures of the finished shine next time I wax... well just check the photos in either registry (link below) and those photos don't do either car much justice! But you won't see any swirls. I will need to be convinced of another wax that can beat Mothers for the price. So far none have.<p>-----
<b>Muhammad
Old 07-13-2000, 06:26 AM

Default swirl marks removed with Malms polish

or Malms ultra polish, which is a finest polish with some carnauba wax I understand.

The regular Malms polish is generally sufficient and cuts through oxidation, etc. with more effort than rubbing compound (which I would never recommend except for a finish you are willing to paint as a last resort!) but removes swirl marks.

Then finish with Malms carnauba wax.

I've used Mothers, Meguires, etc., but the Malms works best. OK, Zymol smells the best and does a good gloss job, but I still end up doing the Zymol once a month or so during the summer and just punt and put a coat of NuFinish on it during the winter.<p>John.Binford@DTRA.MIL
Old 07-13-2000, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Same question... Please also see my response to the wax test msg, below...

I've had Meguilars #26 turn cloudy, but the professional clear coat wax works pretty well. I've used their #7 show car glaze and it removed what few swirl marks I had.<p>2000 2.7T Pearl White/Vanilla-onyx
Xenons
doitsu-no saisenten jidousha-no gijutsu