A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

still... random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still... random misfire

Hello all! Ive got a 01' a6 2.7t 6 speed. I got a random misfire code so I took it to the shop to see what they could do. After it was there for 2 months... yes two months.. He said that he couldnt do anything for me. He changed the coil packs.. changed the wires going into the cp.. He told me it could be my ecm. I contacted shokan and had him send me a chipped k box. Installed it myself.. it ran fine for about 10 minutes.. was still shuttering a little bit <2k rpm but my cel turned off. Now its back to what it was doing although, the shuttering isnt as bad in my opinion.. its still doing it. Ive read that it could be my ignition control module? Should i check this next? Im at a loss for words as the mechanic who had my car for 2 months.. jerry rigged #1 cp.. there are bare wires going into the cp.. i know this isnt right. is it possible he did something wrong and broke something? why else would he keep it for 2 months. he told me he had to order a wiring harness from germany.. i said ok fine whatever. how bad is it to run the car with a random misfire? when i hit the gas hard, cel flashes. if i drive it normally, its just solid. car has 105k on it. i would really like to know if im damaging the car driving it with one of the cylinders missing. what should i check next? the chipped ecm obviously has more in it than the stock one. i would love for this car to be running great. ive replaced water pump timing belt one of the radiator fans.. ive just thrown money into this car and its hard for me to part with it.. no pun intended. whats my next step? what else should i check? what else could this be? thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all find a new mechanic. Misfire under heavy load sounds like a boost leak. Cheap and simple fix if that all it is. Good mechanic that knows Audi's should have checked that right away before all the guessing he did. Sounds like he doesn't even have a VAG-COM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to get a Vag-Com or take it to someone with an Audi scanner to make an educated guess at solving this issue.

Doesn't sound good that your mechanic told you they needed to order a wiring harness and now there's bare wires going into the coil pack. Just so you know, the harness is quite expensive. If he ordered a new one, there should be no bare wires....

Driving with a misfire may not cause a lot of problems other than drivability - but is not recommended. Driving with a misfire that is bad enough to cause a flashing CEL is BAD. Doing this could ruin one or both catylitic converters - and these can cost $1,000 each for the PART, not including labor.

It may be your ICM, but no way to check unless you get a known working ICM or have a vag-com to at least see which cylinders are actually misfiring.

Photos of the bare wires that you are seeing may be helpful to us on here...I'd like to see what exactly is rigged up. Not knowing anything about the mechanic, what he found and what he did - I hate to throw him under a bus- but based on your description I question his ability.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

all the vag shows is multiple random misfires. the cel will blink if i give it alot of gas. an odd thing is.. right when i put it on cruise.. it goes solid again. hope this can help. the wiring looked like it had been clipped then something was in the middle to reconnect. i dont really have another option right now but to drive the car. i hope it doesnt screw it up ..
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

would a boost leak be caused by turbos that need to be replaced and are going bad? im planning on putting k04's in it as soon as i can if its not completely dead by then..
Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by thepope
would a boost leak be caused by turbos that need to be replaced ..
No. Unrelated.

At this point, if misfire is the only code, you might also consider installing a new coolant temp sensor.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

looks like its only a 25 dollar part and 3-5 min install. ill do this and see what happens. thanks.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not to be a dick... but if you are having this much trouble with dealing with a missfire.... step FAR away from the ko4s.... or get a MUCH better mechanic
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CTS is a 3-5 minute job in theory. I'd set aside an hour to do it if it's your first time. It's a little buried back there, often difficult to pull out, etc. I have done it on a VW in a dress shirt and pants with no problem, but on the 2.7T it's in between the engine and firewall and a little more difficult...still not complex in any way, it's just my experience that things never go as planned and it may take about 30 minutes because of this. Set aside an hour and you should be very safe.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Uh, remove intake plumbing, dig down there, clean area, position catch pan, set up new CTS with o-ring, get out (not so easy without damaging something) while coolent spills out (ergo catch pan) rush to get new one in. Reassemble.

Not 3-5 minutes ever.

Agree its faster with lots of practice. Not somethign i aspire to.

I did post a DIY with pics, on a 4.2, but its in roughly the same place.

G

Quick Reply: still... random misfire