A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stumbling after Timing belt/ water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The cam tool is essential for correct cam timing.

Ok so when I get the tool does it come with a detailed procedure for using it. I'm reading alot about breaking the sprockets free, is this really necessary? I haven't found a place with specific details about setting the cams with the tool. Thanks very much for your help so far!!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default The only place I know of for that info is Bentley. However, since the belt is already on...

this is what I would do:

*Leave the belt in place throughout this process!*

Remove whatever is necessary to access the cam spockets (easy, right? lol).
Pin the crank at TDC with the locking tool.
See if the cam tool fits (it probably won't)
The cam tool should be close to fitting. If it is 180 degrees off, remove the crank tool and spin the engine one turn. Reinsert the tool.
Use the cam tool to hold each cams steady (one at a time) and loosen each of the two cam sprocket retaining bolts (one turn, no more than two.)
Use a small puller to free each of the two spockets from the cams. Pull fron the inner hub of the sprocket, not the outside edge with the teeth.
Install the cam tool. (You can use the tool, one cam at a time to turn each of the cams into position. Because you have freed the sprockets from the shafts, the belt will not move.)
Once the cam tool is installed, tighten the sprocket retaining bolts to spec.
Remove cam tools. I like to spin the engine over by hand a few times, turn it back to TDC and make sure I can get the cam tool back into place. This verifies that the timing is correct.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The only place I know of for that info is Bentley. However, since the belt is already on...

Thank you very much for your time I will give this a shot and let you know how it goes!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The only place I know of for that info is Bentley. However, since the belt is already on...

I have been looking online for the appropriate tool since all the local auto shops won't loan or rent it to me. Anyone know what the part number is for the tool I need and where is the best place to buy one? Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Guru

Default I like Baum Tools

Tool # 3391
Holds camshafts at TDC during reassembly and timing of V6 5 valve engines.<ul><li><a href="http://tools.baumtools.com/automotive.jsp?index=8&amp;newIndex=2&amp;menu=aud i&amp;submenu1=Engine&amp;submenu2=Belts">Lower right hand corner.</a></li></ul>
Old 02-10-2006, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Poor idle on the 30v engine is a sure sign I would say. The airflow through...

the three inlet valves in each cylinder that airflow is very sensitive at idle so if the timing is a bit out then it will cause a poor idle straight away.

There is a possibility that one bank is advanced and the other retarded!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright, so I followed this procedure and used the tools and everything is lined up and I took it out and it runs great until things warm up and then I get the stumbling again between 1500 and 2000 RPM. It seems like it is idling a little slow (around 550). Is there anything else I can do? The stumble has gotten better its just not completely gone. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Guru

Have you pulled any trouble codes from the ECU? Is the Check Engine light on?
Old 02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Have you pulled any trouble codes from the ECU? Is the Check Engine light on?

No CEL and no trouble codes. Is there any chance it could be transmission related? Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Guru

Default That's odd. Usually something causing it to idle that low would kick a CEL.

I guess it could be trans related. How does it idle in park?

The trans stores codes too.

Quick Reply: Stumbling after Timing belt/ water pump replacement