A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stumbling after Timing belt/ water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: That's odd. Usually something causing it to idle that low would kick a CEL.

In park its usually idling around 600 RPM after its warmed up. The only reason I asked about the trans is because I have been seeing some drops on my garage floor that appears to be a different color than engine oil. I've read of others transmissions going into limp mode? What is that? Is there a different code reader than the standard OBD device? Thanks very much for sticking with me.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Hmmmm. 600 in park would lead me to believe that it isn't trans related.

But I'd definitely get the leaking checked. The only thing worse than leaking is when it stops leaking (empty).

The transmission stores codes just the engine (so does the airbag system, alarm, cluster, windows, etc - tons of info stored in the various ecu's). A standard OBD II reader will scan engine ECU codes, but to get into the other ecu's you need something VAG specific like a VAG-COM or Pro-Diag (google if don't know what these are).

If the trans was in limp mode, you'd know; all the digits on the shift selector indicator on the dash all light up at once and the car only uses 2 and 3 gears. Pretty sure you are not in limp mode. It would be a good idea to get the trans scanned just to see what's there. If you post on your regional forum for VAG-COM help, someone will assist.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Have you pulled any trouble codes from the ECU? Is the Check Engine light on?

I wanted to get more information so today while driving it I paid very close attention to my symptoms. The car drives and responds great until it warms up. It seemed as soon as the thermostat opened my stuutering starts happening and only around 1200-1600rpm's. Could I be overlooking something stupid like plug wires? I don't get any CEL but I also haven't hooked up to a VAG yet either. Sorry for the length and thanks for your help!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Tech Guru

Default Sounds like the problem starts when the ECU goes into "closed loop". Here's a what I think:

Pull off the plastic engine cover and have a look at the small nest of vacuum lines at the rear center of the engine. A broken vacuum line could be the cause of your problem. I bet you have a small leak somewhere - small enough not to throw a CEL, but big enough to cause the low idle.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Sounds like the problem starts when the ECU goes into "closed loop". Here's a what I think:

As luck would have it I got a CEL tonight which produced a P1227. Still waiting for my Bentley manual and the crappy software I do have doesn't really explain it to me, something to do with fuel metering. Thanks again for staying with me I'll definitely check out the vacuum hoses.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

I'll bet the code is related to a "too lean" condition.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I'll bet the code is related to a "too lean" condition.

I have had to make temporary repairs to the hard plastic tube that runs between the valve covers across the front of the intake. In the course of all the other work I've done I broke this in a few places. Is this a vacuum issue or is it just a breather tube? Thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Tech Guru

Default Well, technically it's just a breather, but when it's damaged, strange things can happen.

I cracked mine, so I replaced it with a new one. $80 at the dealer.

Since you are chasing a strange problem, you probably should replace it.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Have you pulled any trouble codes from the ECU? Is the Check Engine light on?

Third day of driving and stumble started as soon as the car was started. CEL on steady now with a P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire. Ran really rough all the way home from idle to 3000 rpm. Probably gonna break down and buy a set of plug wires and good plugs. When I bought it I looked at the plugs and they are Champions that may not be gapped right. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Guru

Default Not surprised you are having a problem with Champions. The wires are big money...

and pretty durable. Just try the right plugs first.

Quick Reply: Stumbling after Timing belt/ water pump replacement