A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stupid Audi tricks --- the mechanic's key

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Audi tricks --- the mechanic's key

Let me get this straight...so, the mechanic's key is for when you valet park or have the car serviced and want to keep stuff safe in the trunk/glove compartment, right?

That's why it doesn't directly insert into the trunk or glove, right?

But, you can still press the trunk release button after you've entered the car. STUPID!!!

Now, I have to take my valuables out of the trunk before having my car serviced this morning. Am I missing something?
Old 05-04-2001, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, lock the trunk with the "real" key by turning CCW(?)
Old 05-04-2001, 04:33 AM

Default Thanks, Richard. It's all the way CW that locks it.

Stupid owner trick, not reading the manual completely.
Old 05-04-2001, 05:14 AM

And don't forget to lock the fold down seats.
Old 05-04-2001, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default But remember to ask if the tech will need to get into the trunk/fold seats for wiring, fuel sending

unit, etc.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quite frankly I don't leave anything in the car that I'd really miss...

...and treat it as a measure of trust. If the dealership abuses my trust by horking my tire-change coveralls, I simply won't be back. If the guys need to make change for a coke from my change drawer (nee ashtray) I will neither notice nor care.

No, I wouldn't leave my new laptop in the back - but that's more because it's with me than away from them

Besides, if "they" want your stuff, "they'll" get it... Heck, I had a radio stolen from a previous (non-Audi) car while in the dealer's care. Almost certainly an employee because they took at least 10-15 minutes to carefully unbolt and leave behind the modified face plate...knowing they'd have to replace it later.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Never leave valuables in the car during service

Why take the chance? Lots and lots of people pass through service departments and have lots of opportunitiess to window-shop. Besides, why does your car have so many valuables in the first place? Do you really think a car is a secure environment? I've had several convertibles over the years, and I learned long ago that anything in the car should be treated as community property, only in your possession briefly.

Same goes for body shop visits. I once had a serious accident in my Acura, and when I went a few days later to visit it in the body shop where it had been towed, the thing had been sucked dry of everything! Cassettes, cup holders, wet naps, change, even a toy Gumby!
Old 05-04-2001, 10:25 AM
Elder Member

Default left my golf clubs in my car for last service

By mistake. They were still there when I got the car back.

I leave change and real money around my car all the time, like $20-$50. I took my car (my Saturn) to get it detailed. When I got my car back the detailer told me I shouldn't leave the money in there when I get my car detailed.

I guess I'm glad that he warned me, but I'm shocked that he would run a business that even he doesn't consider trustworthy. I won't be back. I am paying him a fair price to detail my car (actually for the job he did it was more than fair), so he shouldn't have to go stealing money out of my car to cover his margins. And there is plenty of disincentive to do so, since he'll get back word-of-mouth.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:03 AM

Default Is this detailer a robot or a human?

There is such a thing as human nature, ya know. NBC did a hidden camera job the other night where they left stuff out in someone's house to see what the cleaning lady would do, and naturally she helped herself to some of it. And this is a woman who is paid to clean. That's like blaming a dog for ripping open a box of dog biscuits if you leave it within their reach. Remove the temptation! Be responsible for your stuff.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:04 AM

Thanks, a blast of common sense

Quick Reply: Stupid Audi tricks --- the mechanic's key