A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Stupid Audi tricks --- the mechanic's key

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You should be able to leave anything in your car, but unfortunately, if you want to keep it...

you shouldn't.
It may be human nature to be tempted, but it is also human nature to have a sense of right and wrong and resist temptations that are wrong.
I agree with you that it is stupid to leave valuables in your car when bringing it in for service, etc. but diagree vehemently about the dog analogy. The dog really is innocent, they have very little dog nature to resist temptations even if he "knew" he shouldn't rip the box of dog biscuits apart. The guy who steals your money from your car is an *******--he knows right and wrong. The guy who leaves money in his car is foolish, not guilty. It is similar to blaming a woman who is beautiful and wears nice clothes for getting raped.
It is "natural" for the cleaning lady to be tempted, but not natural for her to steal--she's a sleazy *******, naturally
Old 05-04-2001, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Steve, let me get this straight. you're not going back to the guy because...

he told you you shouldn't leave money laying around the car, but didn't take it?! Unless he works in a vacuum, there's always a risk someone else could take it and he'd get the blame. At least tell me he didn't do a good job, or overcharged. Or both.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another reason to not leave anything while at the shop...

is that most often the cars sit unlocked at any number of unobserved places, in the street, on the lot, on the roof, anywhere. Almost anyone wandering by has access to your car, not just employees.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:40 AM
Elder Member

Default he didn't do a great job

But he said I shouldn't trust him. So why should I trust him? I'll go to a place which guarantees all my stuff will still be there. It is good business practice, so somebody should be doing it somewhere.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:43 AM
Elder Member

Default if I ever start a detailing service, you can trust me

I won't take your stuff. I'll get my people bonded and if they take anything, it will be replaced.

Is asking for honesty really that crazy?

I guess I understand that someone who works for me might steal from you even if I wouldn't, but can take steps to overcome this, as I said above.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You may have visited your car while in the service bay, and seen other cars open

Anyone can access cars if they are determined. Dealerships have entire cars go missing ( usually new ). Let's face it, as the human race, we love to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Morality seems to come in many shades of grey.

I once had a detailing business. Couldn't find enough qualified help who knew their job and could be bonded. We did high end British ( and other Euro stuff ) cars for executives. Handguns, stacks of cash, booze, and you name it, could sometimes be found under seats, in gloveboxes, in the spare tire well ( yes we detailed the spare ), etc. Never had a problem. Think my guys thought that the handgun owners would hunt them down if there was a problem:-)
Old 05-04-2001, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fair enough.
Old 05-04-2001, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bull; I talk & walk, & deal w/ people who do the same. Otherwise: one of us is going elsewhere.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Never leave valuables in the car during service

A couple of months ago we took some friends out to dinner and ended up arguing who would pick up the check. In the end we did and we drove home with the other couple in the back seat. Took my car in for a scheduled maintenance visit a few days later. A day or two after this, I dropped something on the floor of the car and it slid under the front seat. So I opened up the back door to get it (I have no kids, and almost never use the back seat myself), and I saw a wad of cash stuck into the net on the back of the front seat. Apparently, as I found out later, my friend had stuck it there the night we had gone out to dinner and I had not found it. But it went to the dealer and came back without any $ disappearing. Maybe they thought it was a trick. I mean who would leave 50 bucks stuck in a net in plain site? Of course I was very careful not to leave my Valentine One in the car. What a retard.
Old 05-04-2001, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now I understand what April meant, thanks LM...me too, I am not 5 years old anymore...

when I stole a piece of bubble gum. I'm no saint, but ripping off peoples stuff/money, even when laying out in the open, doesn't even tempt me. Keeping extra change that a clerk inadvertantly gives is the same thing. I just figure (illogically) that it'll just come back at you someday if you screw people over.
Screwing people over is not human nature (wanting to may be, but not the act).

Quick Reply: Stupid Audi tricks --- the mechanic's key