A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Sunroof drain Class Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof drain Class Action Lawsuit

Just got this notice today, along with a revised schedule for cleaning the drains from Audi.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Never cleaned any drains in any of my cars. No issues. Not parking under trees FTW.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Ato
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radhaz
Just got this notice today, along with a revised schedule for cleaning the drains from Audi.
got the same thing as well and i recall about two weeks ago have a huge puddle of water in my passenger section. Does this mean I can take it in to audi to get it taken care of for me. Cause I dont want another mini pool the next time it rains.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi dealer says they have a special tool

Originally Posted by Ato
got the same thing as well and i recall about two weeks ago have a huge puddle of water in my passenger section. Does this mean I can take it in to audi to get it taken care of for me. Cause I dont want another mini pool the next time it rains.
The dealer explanation (yesterday) is that since it wasn't identified in maintenance they are "addressing it" by cleaning out drains. The problem happens when the vehicles are parked under trees and the front (passenger side) drain can get plugged. Then water pools and runs down the inside of the roof to the passenger side. They described a long coathanger type rod special tool that just came out they push thru the drain. The test they identified was to open the roof, pour a partial cup of water and see if it drains. Lower hole is in the front passenger door column between the hinges. I haven't looked but they said you cannot see the upper hole...The rep indicated the rear drains have not been an issue. He also said they get cars in with water sloshing under the battery area - similar issue....hey, we are in the northwest
From what they indicated they will probably unplug/clean the tube, but charge for fixing interior damage...thats those friendly German car driving lawyers with their legal action get their cut.
Also said that cleaning it if it is plugged via air pressure can blow the tube off......

Sure wish they had motivated Audi for the ~2000 fading instrument cluster & ABS module generic defects!
Cheers
Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We got it also. Funny thing is about 6 months ago we had a floor board full of water after my wifes trip home from Daytona, Fl. Cost me about 1600 to have the drain fixed, carpet removed and dried, and everything put back together. Car still smells funky. Since that time both of the front door speakers have not played properly and the right rear door lock stopped working. Could the speakers and lock be related to the water in floor board? Looks like i'm filing a claim for atleast the amount I spent on the repair and carpet cleaning.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good luck with a class action law suit.... thats like bitching your engine died because you never changed the oil
Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course they are not addressing the poor connectors at the rear of the sunroof shelf, and I don't think there's any reimbursement for the 2 hours I spent putting a hose clamp on the loose fitting and the bottle of Resolve to clean the stains on the c/d pillar trim.

No proof of damages...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Guru

What poor connections at the rear? We've never heard or that before! /AoA

Audi will not ever admit that anything is a common problem unless they are forced to in court. For years they pretended that cluster pox was not a common problem.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Since they are now just getting around to this, will they admit the Avant roofs were put together crappy, causing them to rust? My book says the paint is guaranteed for 12 yrs not to rust through. Of course, it's got to rust through. So now I have to wait and see if it goes through completely before 2011 gets here. Anyone know if the 12 yrs simply gets added to 1999 or if they go by the production date?

If it does go through I wonder what the fix will be? Chewing gum in the hole or a complete fix that actually grinds the rust all along the channel and repaint the whole roof.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by audijim113
Since they are now just getting around to this, will they admit the Avant roofs were put together crappy, causing them to rust? My book says the paint is guaranteed for 12 yrs not to rust through. Of course, it's got to rust through. So now I have to wait and see if it goes through completely before 2011 gets here. Anyone know if the 12 yrs simply gets added to 1999 or if they go by the production date?

If it does go through I wonder what the fix will be? Chewing gum in the hole or a complete fix that actually grinds the rust all along the channel and repaint the whole roof.
Rusting roofs, you say? Never heard of it. Yours is the only one! /audi

Quick Reply: Sunroof drain Class Action Lawsuit