A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Suspension upgrades and down...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrades and down...

Three weeks since I put the Eibachs and Bilsteins in. The ride is a lot harsher than I was expecting. It seems like I feel every single expansion joint, filled pothole, you name it. I was hoping some settling in would handle that but no such luck. I want to put on 17"'s and that will probably make it an even harsher ride.

So I like the look the Eibachs give the car and would like to keep those and replace the Bilsteins. I'd like those who have done just a spring change to comment on how they like the ride. Did you go with the Audi Eibachs or not? I hear there is a difference in compression rates.

Those who only change the springs how did that affect the ride?

So if I do swap out the shocks, what do I go with. Back to stock? Don't have them so would have to repuchase or are there some decent aftermarkets that maintain a regular ride. Anyone know who OEM's the shocks for Audi?

Darn, I was really hoping this setup would work out. Handles great but I drive over some bumpy roads every day and the trade-off is not worth it. So I lose something in the shocks, I'll get some back with the 17"s and maybe throw in a anti-sway bar.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:42 PM
rmg

Default Re: You need to talk to Ming 2.7T. He put on springs only and kept the stock

shocks. I rode in his car and found it to be a great compromise.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Suspension upgrades and down...

do you want to sell the bilsteins?how much<ul><li><a href="http://als@ak.net">http://als@ak.net</a</li></ul>
Old 05-14-2001, 03:55 AM

Default Springs only will kill stock shocks quickly...

this according to the Koni, Eibach, and Bilstein engineers I have spoken with. The stock (non-PSK) damper hasn't the valving to control the stiffer, shorter spring, and will wear out quickly. Not sure how PSK shock would do - probably better, as it is designed for a shorter stiffer spring to start.

I researched this heavily before I went with the Konis and the Eibach Pro kit springs. I agree with wakaru40 - the ride is stiffer than I had hoped, and I am running 18's. I think 17's would make a difference toward small bump sensativity, but not large.

At this point, I am going to live with my setup for a while before making any changes. Ride is pretty stiff, but not unliveable, and handling is tremendously improved.

Wakaru40 - keep us posted on what you do and results!!!

Mike
Old 05-14-2001, 05:27 AM

you could try letting a few psi out of your tires - who knows, could help :\
Old 05-14-2001, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Damn - Just when I was ready to Jump. But SoCal roads are pretty smooth, so Ming is spoiled
Old 05-14-2001, 06:04 AM

Default Only want to do job once....

is another point: it's a bitch installing shocks/springs on the 2.7t - most of front suspension has to come apart, and a fair bit of rear. Might as well replace shocks at same time, to save some $$$. This is also why adjusting the Konis right the first time is critical: they have to come out to readjust, which means extensive disassembly and a re-alignment. Damn....nothing is easy on this car.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What Bilsteins do you have? It is my understanding that the Sport shock is not yet

ready and it is made specifically to be used with lowering springs. The HD shock is intended to be a OEM replacement unit where the stock springs (or springs that do not lower the car) are used. Also (AFAIK) there is no HD shock available for the newer A6, but there are HD and Sports available for the "older" series Audis, including the first to be badged "A6" by Audi.

Can you supply more info on the shocks you have? It would be greatly appreciated...I'm also very sorry to hear that the set-up you have is not performing to your expectations.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:21 AM

I have the ABT/Bilstein package. It is very good, without being harsh.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:37 AM

Default Peter, Stratmoshere is now an ABT/Bilstein retailer, here is the url...

I purchased my adjustable height sport bilsteins and ABT spring set from Joe Hoppen Motorsports (through my dealer). The first set of front springs were incorrect, but they air-freighted replacements from Germany and the car is perfect now. I did not go radical on the drop, but did it more for the control and performance. In fact the fronts are on the highest setting, which is slightly lower than the stock 4.2 sport suspension. No more rear bounce the 4.2 seemed to do while stock. By the way, I am sorry that I have not been able to meet any of you Seattle/Bellevue based Audis. I have been over two or three times these past few weeks, but short of time.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/abt.htm">http://www.stratmosphere.com/abt.htm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrades and down...