A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Symphony Unit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symphony Unit Problems

The in-dash CD player in the Symphony audio unit in my '99.5 A6Q died, giving an error message to every CD tried. After MONTHS of waiting for a replacement unit to get to my dealer and installed, now the second unit is acting up.

First, I noticed that the on/off/volume **** did not rotate freely, but had a mechanical resistance for a part of its rotation. Second, the replacement Symphony unit was extremely bass-heavy, sounding very different than the original unit, even after adjusting the bass a few "clicks" downward (in each and every mode). Third, the display in the unit is intermittent, sometimes displaying nothing.

Is mine the only one, or have others had these or other problems with the Symphony units? Am I missing something -- is there any overall bass level (subwoofer matching) adjustment? For anyone else who had to get a unit replaced, how long was your wait?

Otherwise, I love the car ...
Old 10-10-2000, 07:34 PM

Default Did you have the BOSE stereo or the standard radio?

I had BOSE option, and the dealer replaced the symphony radio under warrenty. I noticed a lot more bass with the new unit. Then I noticed that when the radio turned on, it did not say BOSE anymore on the display screen (like the original one did) I later found out that the dealer forgot to code the radio to be a Bose unit. After recoding the bass was back to normal (and the unit said BOSE when turned on).
-peter
Old 10-10-2000, 10:29 PM
uwg

Default CD and Display...

My Symphony/Bose had a CD ERR when I first drove the car off the lot. It was fixed within three days, the dealer simply swapped out the radio with another car.

One time the Radio/CD display in the upper part of the DIS went blank. It came back after I powercycled the radio.
Old 10-11-2000, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Symphony Unit Problems

I have had a volume **** that is "gritty" feeling and offers resistance when trying to adjust to certain listening levers since new. Dealer has said that is normal. Yea right, on a 40+k automobile. I have resisted having the head unit changed out because of both the horror stories I've heard like yours and because I have not been afflicted by the dreaded station drift. I have learned to live with it unfortunately.
Old 10-11-2000, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: Did you have the BOSE stereo or the standard radio?

I had the Bose option. Is this true -- the unit has to be coded "Bose" in order to work properly with the Bose subwoofer?
Old 10-11-2000, 06:57 PM

Default I have had my coded both ways

If it does not say "BOSE" on the display when turned on then it is coded as stock. On my car there appears to be alot more bass when coded as stock (even after adjusting the tone controls) When the dealer replaced my radio they forgot to code it to be a BOSE unit. I iniatially noticed the increase in bass and then noticed that it no longer said bose on power up. after coding it to be BOSE the sound returned to normal.
-peter
Old 10-12-2000, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default How to code Bose?

Is the coding something that can be entered from the keys on the unit?