A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

TB Loses tension then gets it back

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB Loses tension then gets it back

i had a timing belt job done about 10K miles ago. a strange rattle started to happen a couple months ago. when i brought it to a mechanic they instantly said water pump was going. but i know that was just recently replaced and i assume they just wanted my money to do an expensive job that was unnecessary.

from doing some research and troubleshooting i have figured out there is something wrong with the whatever is keeping my timing belt under tension. when the engine makes this wierd rattling noise (i think it is the cams are very slightly out of time) the timing belt has no tension on it. i took off the TB covers and felt the belt. you could move it up and down at least an inch, no tension on it.

the rattling noise will go away almost instantly and the TB will be under tension again. what do you think is causing the belt to lose tension then regain it again?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Stop driving the car. Do not even start the engine.

Take a look at the timing belt tensioner. Sounds like it is failing.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Stop driving the car. Do not even start the engine.

Take a look at the timing belt tensioner. Sounds like it is failing.
i mean it has ebough tension to holt the belt to the cam sprockets, so i dont think the belt is going to like fall of or anything and damage the engine.

how long do you think it will take to put in service position and remove everything to get at the tensioner and replace it? and is that the only thing that could be causing the problem
Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by pntbllfun
i mean it has ebough tension to holt the belt to the cam sprockets, so i dont think the belt is going to like fall of or anything and damage the engine.

how long do you think it will take to put in service position and remove everything to get at the tensioner and replace it? and is that the only thing that could be causing the problem
If the belt has that much slop, it could very easily jump several teeth.

You'll need about 4 hours and the locking pin and bar.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
If the belt has that much slop, it could very easily jump several teeth.

You'll need about 4 hours and the locking pin and bar.
i am wondering how the tensioner stops putting tension on the belt then regains tension again.

i would think that it just would lose tension and that would be it, i dont see how it goes in between the two
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are asking an interesting question but the issue is how much longer before the timing belt skips several teeth and bents some valves or worse. Last month I took apart an AHA V6 that broke six exhaust valves and completely destroyed an engine on a 99 A6 Avant.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by pntbllfun
i am wondering how the tensioner stops putting tension on the belt then regains tension again.

i would think that it just would lose tension and that would be it, i dont see how it goes in between the two
It doesn't. The slop in the belt just moves to a different area. Don't forget that the cams have all kinds of spring forces acting on them from the valve springs. When you get all the timing belt covers of and turn the engine over by hand you will see what I mean.