A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is there any way to disable the Xenon Headlight Range Control through Vag-Com?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any way to disable the Xenon Headlight Range Control through Vag-Com?

I've been getting the range control malfunction warning on my dash almost every trip I take over 10 miles or so... The beep is loud and obnoxious, and I don't like looking at the icon. I scanned the car and got:

Address 55 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4B0 907 357 C
Component: dynamische LWR D05
Coding: 00020
Shop #: WSC 02325
1 Fault Found:
00776 - Level Control System Sensor: Left Front (G78)
28-10 - Short to B+ - Intermittent
I did a search and found this thread over at the Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4748081

I tried recoding Adaptation 2 in Address 55 from 1 to 0 because it worked for that guy, but it did not work for me.

I know the problem is there, and I will fix it when I have some time, and/or money if I have to take it to a mechanic... For now though, I would just like to disable the warning or even the range control altogether. Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

bump
Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

So what's up with the left front level control sensor? Seems like it's worth taking a look at its wiring to see that it's still intact.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by monkeytronic
So what's up with the left front level control sensor? Seems like it's worth taking a look at its wiring to see that it's still intact.
Thanks for your reply...
Where would that be located exactly? (pics if possible, please)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

With the driver side front wheel removed, the level sensor can be spied attached via a long vertical black plastic arm to the front lower control arm (nearest to the control arm bushing at the subframe--shown here just to the left of the red shock absorber), thusly:

Name:  Further007.jpg
Views: 22448
Size:  139.9 KB
Old 12-11-2010, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

It's on the lower control arm Left front side.

Here's somewhat what it looks like.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Take out fuse number 10. That should take care of that annoying light;
Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With the driver side front wheel removed, the level sensor can be spied attached via a long vertical black plastic arm to the front lower control arm (nearest to the control arm bushing at the subframe--shown here just to the left of the red shock absorber), thusly:
Thanks, but what exactly am I looking for once I find it?

Originally Posted by Rayko
Take out fuse number 10. That should take care of that annoying light;
I think I will try this as well. If the annoying light and beep goes away then I can address the leveling situation at a later time.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by firstorbit84
Thanks, but what exactly am I looking for once I find it?
You most likely have a wiring issue--as in the sensor's wiring is shorting out. Start by checking the insulation of the sensor's wiring for any indication that the wiring insulation might be compromised starting at the sensor and tracing the wiring back.

00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Front Left (G78): Open or Short to Ground
Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You most likely have a wiring issue--as in the sensor's wiring is shorting out. Start by checking the insulation of the sensor's wiring for any indication that the wiring insulation might be compromised starting at the sensor and tracing the wiring back.

00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Front Left (G78): Open or Short to Ground
Thanks for more info... I put the car up this morning and checked the wires visually and they appeared okay, but I looked down and I found the vertical black plastic arm completely detached from the piece that clamps around the control arm.

I also noticed that the part where the long black vertical arm attached to the upper shorter arm that moved at the sensor was stuck in place pretty good. So, I sprayed the nut holding on the long arm with some liquid wrench, and cleaned it up a bit with a wire brush. Then I removed the long vertical arm with a 10mm socket and needle nose pliers to hold the other piece behind it in place.

Once apart, I applied a bit of grease to the inner face of the nut and the bolt so that it would move freely with the upper arm. Then, I drilled a small hole into the lower part of the arm, and bolted it back on at the top, backing it out about a quarter turn from fully tightened to allow it to move with the upper sensor arm. I shaved a bit of the plastic bushing that it fits onto at the control arm so that I was able to slide the lower part back on, and then I secured it by running a zip tie through the control arm bracket and the small hole that I drilled in the vertical arm...

I went on a short test drive, and so far so good... If the warning light comes back then I will look further into the wires at the sensor, and possibly consider pulling fuse 10.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Is there any way to disable the Xenon Headlight Range Control through Vag-Com?