A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Thinking about dumping my Audi. Love/hate relationship

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about dumping my Audi. Love/hate relationship

Well I have had my 99 A6Q Since late October and in that time I have had the following problems.

Drivers side parking light housing
Battery
Burn through on heated wheel
Blown heater/AC motor.

In the 6 months I have owned it I have had more problems then my Miata, Pathfinder, Accord DX, Accord EX, Acura TL, and Nissan Altima combined.

The only car with as many problems was my 87 Mustang and I swore off American cars at that point.

Don't get me wrong I love the cars feel, driving, awd, interior, engineering etc. but these problems are a royal PITA. And it isn't the money it is the TIME.

I would concider going new but a good friend just bought a 03 2.7T that is now in for the third time for o2 sensors and it only has 1,600 miles. He hasn't had his car going on TWO WEEKS now. No parts, the mechanics stripped something, and he gets a cheap rental.

I wish Audi could produce a reliable vehicle because the car is amazing. When ever it snowed I couldn't believe the handling.

I think I'm going to look at a TL type S on Monday.

Please don't get me wrong I understand why you guys love these cars but for me reliabilty is the base for which all features are built, with out it they are useless IMO.

This really sucks because I thought I was going to never want to get rid of this car.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about dumping my Audi. Love/hate relationship

We had a '95 A6. Had lots of problem with it, because it had a engine fire before we baught it. Anyways, we had it 2 years despite all the problems, and the last 1/2 year, it was no problems with it. When we decided to get a new car... well look at my sig, It's an Audi. I'm glad we did stay with Audi. Sometimes you get monday cars. My tip is, either stay with your car, fix the problems, or get a new one. Stay with Audi, you'll not regret it.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I boutght my car used CPO, with 12.5k miles on it...

I have since put over 4200 miles in 2 mos. on the car. I haven't a had problem yet, but I keep my fingers crossed everyday because of stories such as yours. Then again, I have had 5 Mustangs over 14 years and I only had 1 tranny problem related to a shift kit I had installed, the plates warped, and the dealer fixed it under warranty regardless of the performance modification.

Some cars are just built on bad days. I hope my car doesn't turn it out to be one of those Friday machines.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are still ahead of the game, I've had mounds of more stuff go wrong on my car and I just have

about 33k on it. German cars are quirky, but the 2.7T is still behind most of them IMO. I'm sure some issues are common between all A6s.

It sucks, and I will certainly consider going Japanese for my next car.

-st
Old 03-30-2003, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have owned so many German cars, I am used to it. Japanese cars are appliances

if you want something like that, go for it.

plus, I can't fit in any of them
Old 03-30-2003, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I sympathize. But when you sell, you take a loss for the maintenance the buyer will have to foot.

So, in my opinion, if it is a car you love, keep it. You have now the experience, the connections (here) to help diagnose it, and you're probably past the worst of it already.

At least, that's my justification, and I'm sticking to it. Aftermarket warranties are a good deal, too. ;^)
Old 03-30-2003, 04:33 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I have owned so many German cars, I am used to it. Japanese cars are appliances

I agree. The inconveniences of German cars (reliability) are far outweighed by the driving experience. Japanese and American carmakers are more concerned with luxury and reliability (even though the American carmakers haven't figured out the reliability thing yet), than with performance and the solid enjoyment you get from driving a German car. I just wish Audi would give Audi loaners to service customers like BMW does. I had my 9 year old 3 series in the dealership last week for a relatively minor repair (less than $200) and I got to spend the day in a new 330xi. I really don't mind taking my BMW in; definitely beats the Chevy Impala I got the last time I had the A6 Avant at the Audi dealer for service!
Old 03-30-2003, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I get Camry or Accord Loaners, and the other dealership here gives jettas and passats
Old 03-30-2003, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I agree except for the new fleet of cars - Evo, STi...

But I can't say I've tried to fit in one, so that is a good point.

-st
Old 03-30-2003, 06:10 PM

My dealer only loans Audis, I got an A4 1.8 & A6 2,8

Quick Reply: Thinking about dumping my Audi. Love/hate relationship