A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Thinking about getting a 2002 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a 2002 4.2

Hello all, the 2.7T was sold last year and I miss it. I was thinking about picking up a 4.2 this time around. I'm comfortable repairing all the typical A6 stuff that goes wrong, but my main worry is the transmission. Are people typically getting these tips to last a long time? I'm also considering a tip chip from VAST. Anyone think this is a good idea on a daily driven A6? Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey 2q2! Blast from the past! I picked up a 2002 4.2 in 2006, and I love it! It is my daily driver, no issues with the tranny (knocks on wood). I have not done the tip chip, just a few cosmetic and electrical mods, the H-sports, and the RS6 exhaust.

I loved the 2002 because it had the upgrades for that year (bixenon headlights, exposed tips), had the tip buttons on the steering wheel (eliminated in 2003). Other things that got "removed" from the car in 2003 included the passenger side memory seat, the pre-wiring for the CD changer in the trunk.

Nice to see you paying AW a visit!!! Happy shopping!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I recognized you right away. You've been on this site for a long time. I notice that a lot of people are now on Audizine. A friend of mine told me about that site. I don't think it existed back when I was on AW all the time. I still think Audiworld is the better site for the A6 C5 forum. How many miles do you have on your 4.2? Any suggestions for making the tranny last?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got an '02 4.2 just two months ago. I'm already planning on installing an aftermarket oil-to-air ATF cooler ahead of the A/C condenser on the driver side and of course changing out the ATF and filter.

As much as others deem the factory oil-to-water ATF cooler in the radiator sufficient I've personally never been sold on them especially in AWD car.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the car in 1/06 with 31k, it now has about 95k on it. I did not do a tranny oil change at 60k as many have done in the past. I might do it before the car hits 100k however.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get it. I have a 01 4.2L, but just last week got a tranny rebuild. But, still going to keep it and drive it cause I have no reason to get rid of it. I see V6 cars that get the same or worse gas mileage than my FourTwo V8 :P, so IMO its a good car overall.

Top notch interior build quality and design, and thats backed by every person thats ever reviewed an Audi. So, its a great car and perfect daily driver. There are endless things to do to it, specially that the RS6 and S6 have parts that go on it. It's a 9 outta 10 from me.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi42LV8
Get it. I have a 01 4.2L, but just last week got a tranny rebuild. But, still going to keep it and drive it cause I have no reason to get rid of it. I see V6 cars that get the same or worse gas mileage than my FourTwo V8 :P, so IMO its a good car overall.

Top notch interior build quality and design, and thats backed by every person thats ever reviewed an Audi. So, its a great car and perfect daily driver. There are endless things to do to it, specially that the RS6 and S6 have parts that go on it. It's a 9 outta 10 from me.

Amen! I haven't found anything I like to drive more. What can one expect to pay for a transmission rebuild?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q2quest
Amen! I haven't found anything I like to drive more. What can one expect to pay for a transmission rebuild?
Wellll, once Audi and ZF saw how unreliable their trannies were (I blame ZF) they updated the parts in the transmission, so when It is repaired under warranty or rebuild out of pocket, the shop or dealer installs these new parts which make it more reliable than it came out of the factory!!

So, those people who are using older versions and hasn't failed... Lucky! But now mine is twice as reliable and strong vs my previous. I paid $ 2,500.00 which included new rebuild kit (seals, gaskets, clutch packs, bla bla) and other parts and than a double-standard warranty of 24month/24,000miles. Mechanic said I should feel a difference like smoother, faster, more responsive than stock. But it was definately worth it, it was giving me issues any how. I cant wait to get my car back damn it!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi42LV8
Wellll, once Audi and ZF saw how unreliable their trannies were (I blame ZF) they updated the parts in the transmission, so when It is repaired under warranty or rebuild out of pocket, the shop or dealer installs these new parts which make it more reliable than it came out of the factory!!

So, those people who are using older versions and hasn't failed... Lucky! But now mine is twice as reliable and strong vs my previous. I paid $ 2,500.00 which included new rebuild kit (seals, gaskets, clutch packs, bla bla) and other parts and than a double-standard warranty of 24month/24,000miles. Mechanic said I should feel a difference like smoother, faster, more responsive than stock. But it was definately worth it, it was giving me issues any how. I cant wait to get my car back damn it!
That doesn't sound too bad. Where did you have this work done?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cottman Transmissions - Phoenix Az, they did a whole bunch of other stuff also, and doubled the warranty free.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a 2002 4.2