A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

For those thinking the Passat W8 is an option to the A6 from Autoweek,

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Recoding your transmission with the ross-tech tool is free!

I would figure out what the sport coding is, and recode it.

We've done it with the A8 with huge differences in performance, the URL tells you about it. It's probably not that hard to figure out the coding.

pw<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/codingtransmission.html">How to recode a transmission</a></li></ul>
Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport package includes: wheels, suspension, and a 6-speed manual
Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just drove a W8 back to back with the Jaguar X Type 3.0.

Both are about the same money in the end. The W8 we drove had a small lag, but not the long pause you felt in some of the earlier cars. The interior was not as overtly luxurious as the Jag, but it did have more features. The sound and power past 2000rpms is sheer joy. Even without the sport package, it was more tossable and nimble feeling than the non-sport package Jag. Not locked down and ready to rumble like an A4 with a sport package, but certainly no slouch.

In any case, neither are anything like the A6 in any form. The A6 is much more luxurious.

In fact the largest obstacle for VW when it comes to the W8, Phaeton, and Touareg, will be it's dealerships/salespeople. Our salesperson was knowledgable and enthusiastic, but woefully short on polish and sophisticated sales techniques. It pains me to say but having been very well treated by the Jaguar dealership, the VW dealer really did feel like a place you buy a Golf or Jetta.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No manual tranny yet - maybe never.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Here in the Big PX

no one is going to buy into a high-class stand-alone VW dealership selling big-zoot vehicles. Sorry, not gonna happen. It's true VW has upped its image measurably with the current batch of Golf/GTIs, Jettas and Passats but they are maxed out. No more juice in that lemon (oops, bad analogy).
Old 03-31-2003, 12:01 PM

Best way to cure the 'lag'--wait for the 6 speed- 2 months or so---
Old 03-31-2003, 12:13 PM

Default Hmm, did something change?

As far as I've read, sources still claim a delayed intro for the sport packaged W8 Passat.

Car &amp; Driver and VWVortex (less reliable, I know) both have mentioned it.

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/04_02/04_05/index.shtml

I am very impressed VW is bringing back TDIs like no tomorrow in the coming years.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:31 PM

Default Re: A few minor points...

I fully agree on the lack of sales. The fact that VW itself hasn't pushed the sales of the W8 in any ad nor even in the sales kiosks in the dealerships, is the one main reason these cars don't sell. The lack of knowledge in what they really are. Those that but them will be the "drivers". Not the average person wanting to buy a VW because they look cool, and there neighbor has one. The W8 is a niche player in the auto world. I think we all can agree on that. And no it's not an Audi... It's a VW/Audi ;o)

I wasn't knocking your comments either... Most of what you quoted is true... The W8 needs some fine tuning off the showroom floor to be a "great car" for the money. The Air filter doesn't make a 20HP gain. A new reprogramed ECU does ) The K&amp;N Air filter I used does make a difference in airflow. Much more so in the 4.0 (3.9999) Liter engine than in my last VR6. It was an amazing improvement in throttle response!

Some more info... I'm searching for the information to back the claim (I came across VW engineering comments awhile back) that the W8 was based on the A6 platform, while the normal Passat's are on the last A4 platform (More so a long wheelbase version). We all know that these cars share the same parts... Just a bit of info...

As for the introduction of the W8... Well, VW had several reasons. A few of them are.

One, the introduction of the W8 engine. They needed a running track record on the W8 power plant before they introduced the Toureg and Phaeton. Both of these new vehicles will be available with the W8.

Two, they did need a bridge vehicle. Even if they didn't push sales of the W8, it would come as less of a shock to the auto world to introduce $50k and $60k versions of the Phaeton with around 4 different engine options, and around 3 rear seat configurations. The Toureg will also be in the $40's and $50's with just as many power plants to choose from.

Three, The W8 combines most everything VW knows how to do, and do well. With so many different technologies, and styles that VW has developed throughout the last few years. All together in a "ready to drive off in" package.

Talking about vehicles VW won't sell many of... The Passat W8 is a new vehicle to a "new comer" of the luxury market. The next to come in the lineup is the Phaeton. Most "high standing sales" dealerships will receive just 1 Phaeton the first year. Just 1... Now take into consideration that they claim they will have only 1 specially trained shop mechanic per dealership for this car. Also consider that each dealership is responsible for a spare Phaeton for a loaner if and when an owner takes theirs in for service. How can VW really make money this way? They won't. But it's their entry into the market. They are competing to move Mercedes Benz off the road in small numbers. So far they are seceding. Look at where VW has come from in the past 4 years. The new body styles, and flashy marketing, moved them into a sales position they've never held before in the States. Now, slowly, they are moving up the ladder.

Hmmm... I'm starting to feel like Les Bidrawn here... )
Old 03-31-2003, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The info I have says the Touareg and Phaeton will come with the Audi 4.2 engine...

not the W8. AFAIK the ONLY use for the W8 is and will be (short-lived) in the Passat...that's it.
I do know that the Passat W8 has the exact same chassis as the regular Passats.
Realistically, the 3 platforms that the A4, A6, and Passat utilize are all slight variations of each other...the A6 being slightly longer than the Passat, slightly longer than the A4.

Two local dealers here in the north SF bay area are looking for ways to give their Phaetons to other dealers after the mandatory show period is over...they don't think they can sell them...as far as they have told me.

The sport W8 should really be a pretty nice car...especially for the money.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Still no 6-speed...unclear if it will ever come...the sport package has arrived...

however...but came without the stick...

Quick Reply: For those thinking the Passat W8 is an option to the A6 from Autoweek,