A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

to those who have the A6 4.2, why did you pick it over the GS 400?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2000, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to those who have the A6 4.2, why did you pick it over the GS 400?
Old 08-01-2000, 09:58 AM

Default Hmmmm, where to start....

Several reasons for me; I never felt I was in a $50K car in the Lexis. I liked it, (it would have been my second choice actually) but just didn't feel that expensive. The inside was a little plain for my tastes. I've used this term before, so please forgive me, but I felt it had no spirit. I liked the idea of a German car I could tune if I ever decided to, and lastly, I like the quattro over the rear wheel drive. Oh, don't forget the 3 yrs maintenance on the Audi. I still think the Lexis is a great car. Gook luck.
Old 08-01-2000, 10:08 AM

So they could stay on this forum
Old 08-01-2000, 10:50 AM
JP

#1 reason for sure. :-).
Old 08-01-2000, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: to those who have the A6 4.2, why did you pick it over the GS 400?

I only considered 2 German cars the 4.2 and the 540i, both with sport package. I had owned many Japanese cars and they all had trouble taking what I would dish out over time. I have mellowed but feel that German cars are tough to beat when it comes to toughness. An old Beetle and 76 Rabbit were the same way. The Lexus has great acceleration but looks awkward to me.
Old 08-01-2000, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I've had both

Unfortunately when I got my GS400, it was at the beginning of the high speed balance issues that plagued the model until the issue was understood better. At the time, that was one of the main reasons I got rid of the car. The other had to do with traction. When you get on the GS400 on a wet surface, you thank you lucky starts that the Vehicle Skid Control came standard. I can’t tell you how many times I inadvertently gasses it in a turn and started sideways only to have the Vehicle Skid Control keep me from ending up on the side of the road. If I’m going to have a car that performs this porly in poor weather, I’d rather have a sports car. I don’t understand the desire to have an expensive rear wheel drive sedan. If you think it’s more praticle than a sports car, you obviously haven’t owned one. The e-shift on the steering wheel was fun for about the first two weeks. Then I realize that it was no comparision to actually having a manual transmission. It wouldn’t even take the car into first gear (by design). That’s why I have a 2.7T 6 speed. All the traction I could ever ask for. Fun driving along with an advertised 0-60 speed that’s right there with the GS400. Which the speed was the main advantage of the car along with an incredible service department in Indy. I understand the desire for the V8 the 4.2 has to offer, but I’d seriously consider the 2.7 in whichever transmission. You just can’t believe the engine for the price. I think if Audi had the chance, they would go back and re-price the 2.7T much closer to the 4.2 than it is today.
Old 08-01-2000, 11:56 AM

This board's not big enuf for more than 1 smart alec !
Old 08-01-2000, 12:00 PM

Default Because the GS 400 lacks "soul"

I test drove a GS400 back when I had my S4 and I thought it felt rather anemic. I also had several minor gripes about it:

- cheezy looking navigation/audio/climate control touch screen
- rear seats don't fold down
- difficult to find one w/ 17" wheels
- difficult to find one w/ navigation system
- difficult to find one without cheezy gold kit
- wheels only come in chrome finish

Also when you tell a Lexus salesperson you're a driving enthusiast, they look at you like you have three heads. And, when you take your Lexus in for service (I used to have a '99 RX300) you'll be sitting in the waiting room with all those old women who've dropped off their LS/ES for an oil change.

Judging from a few of the posts I've seen on this board, not all A6 drivers are performance-oriented. If you'd prefer a softer ride in a flashier car, get the GS. If you'd prefer a more exciting driving experience and the support of the people on this forum, get the A6.<p><a href="mailto:jim@vipmail.com?Subject=AudiWorld Post">Jim</a>, <a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=5430">'00 A6 4.2</a>
Old 08-01-2000, 02:27 PM

Default Whealy, IMHO, you make the proper conclusion about RWD.

Practicality (sometimes read: safety) and performance get blurred (or very well marketed) when it comes to the "sports sedan". I, like you came from a RWD sports sedan (1997 M3 sedan) and hence into a 4.2. There is just no comparison in the foul. However, my latest dellusion of grandeur is a Boxster S as a 3rd ride. ;-)
Old 08-01-2000, 02:46 PM

Default It's the whole "rice rocket" thing. The 400 looks like a suped up Civic.

And it looks like an Accord. Or an Acura. Or a toyota. Or a Maxima. It suffers heavily from looking like a dull, old, Japanese sedan. Basically, it's way too conservative for my tastes. My father is interested in getting a Lexus. Maybe when I'm 68 I'll have a taste for a Lexus type car.

Quick Reply: to those who have the A6 4.2, why did you pick it over the GS 400?