A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle lag

Will recoding tip in 01 2.7T reduce throttle lag? It seems to be worse in hot weather now. Anyone have experience with Ross Tech vag com? Does it work well? Is it worth the investment to be able to recode back to factory specs prior to any service visits? As I'm not highly technically astute, would I be unlikely to screw up anything or cause any inadvertant problems? Thanks for your input. This forum is great!
Old 08-01-2002, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From what I've heard, VAG will not fix lag.

Lag is a combination of how the gas pedal is wired to the throttle, and the turbo lag (which gets worse in hotter weather). A/C also creates a drag that impedes acceleration.

As to "screwing up" by VAG, my understanding is that the 00032 modification to the TIP does not make the car do anything it could not do before; it just hard-codes the transmission to its most "sporty" setting.

If push came to shove, I do not think it should void your warranty; but that is not the real answer. If you had a warranty claim denied by your dealer due to a re-coding, it could be a long, uphill battle to try to win.

I've heard nothing bad here about the Ross tool. I do get the sense that using it to change existing parameters is somewhat trial-and-error. Obviously, it works well at picking up error codes. Of course, that does not fix the car, it only identifies the symptom.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I did the recode....

and the results are positive.

Keep in mind this was an S4 that I drive with little fanfare around town as a daily driver.

The recode immediately made a drastic difference in throttle response. I now have to back off the throttle when leaving stop lights cause I don't want a ticket! The amount of throttle input is greatly reduced when accelerating from a stop.
Now how much of this is from a transmission that previously had a "learned" lethargic driving style from around town driving is unknown.

In other words if you drive your car hard anyway you might not find the gains I did with the recode. Just an observation.

I will say the gains have remained in place for the past week as the transmission still shifts better and holds RPM's longer. Much better IMHO.

My S6 transmission is still crisper and more "sporty" than my recoded S4 even in regular drive mode.
Sport mode on the S6 is a whole new ball game for comparisons. Not even close.

Unfortunately I am computer literate as I did not have any trouble spending 5 minutes loading the VAG software and changing a few numbers in the car. It is a daunting task to screw with your electronics in a complicated car like this but it is not difficult in my opinion.

Go for it...
Old 08-01-2002, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vag Com is the best deal on an automotive tool anywhere.

It has more capability than the factory diagnostic computer, at a tiny fraction of the price. For about the price of a good tire you can diagnose problems, change coding on all the computers in the car, reset service indicators, log engine parameters (like boost, temps, RPM, speed, etc). As to the throttle lag, if you mean the turbo lag then you will not get any improvement by recoding, if you are looking for quicker downshifts then maybe.