A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tie rod ends, control arm bushings, lowered suspension... ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod ends, control arm bushings, lowered suspension... ??

Okay... I checked out my front end today and noticed my tie rod ends (the bushings) are dead and need replacement. BUT, I also noticed the bushings on my control arms are cracked.
I am tempted to buy the febi/bilstein front-end kit, but to me it just seems like dont fix what aint broke. Obviously 2 tie rod ends and some bushings arent gonna cost $500. Granted the labor will probably be about the same because you still have to remove the dang things to replace the bushings.

Secondly, I plan on perhaps lowering the car 30mm or so. Will I end up having to replace the upper control arms anyways when I do? If so, should I find/buy an adjustable front-end kit?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor

Default Info

The tie rod ends are pretty easy replacements. You can certainly buy them by themselves as they're relatively inexpensive.

The control arms however must be purchased as arms. You can buy the bushings separately, but the ball joint end is not available separately, and both ends are susceptible to failure.

We offer the Febi-Bilstein kit which includes everything you need, all 8 control arms, 2 sway bar links, and 2 tie rod ends. It does make things easier this way.

If you're replacing upper arms, it makes sense to replace the forward and rearward one, since they both must come out to replace either one.

As for lowering the car, I would recommend that the control arm neutral points are readjusted when the new suspension goes in. This is easy to do, and just involves loosening the bolts on the bushing ends of the arms, set the arms to their new ride height positions, then re-tighten the bushing bolts.

It'll certainly help to extend the life of those inner bushings.<ul><li><a href="http://www.purems.com/products/description.php?II=1013">Control Arm Kit</a></li></ul>
Old 01-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Info

yah... I've already contacted my indy about the kit. Just makes more sense. I refuse to pay $160/control arm from the stealer.
Overall, it'll make the car look a lot nicer behind the wheel also if I ever get around to getting new wheels.
Expect an order from me real soon... did someone say "free shipping"?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Default I just installed the complete kit from Pure MS last week.

I chose to do the whole kit vs changing out the worn out parts. It's like having a brand new set up and the car feels tighter and steering more precise. Prior to the changeout, I already had the Eibach Prokit shocks and springs. I'm not sure to what extent the car is lowered. It is not slammed but the 17" wheel/tire combo fits nicely under the sheetmetal.

good luck

al
Old 01-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I just installed the complete kit from Pure MS last week.

Yah, I did a bit of research on those kits. Although "OEM", Febi actually strengthened the bushings from stock - by adding foam into the centers I assume. Other then that they're exactly the same as stock.

I already placed my order as well from a different company (PureMS actually ran out - business must be good). My wheel is about to vibrate off so I cant wait to install this. hehe.

gonna start lubing the linkages so my indy has an easier time installing.