A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Timing Belt Etc..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor is the 2.7T.. Its an '04 A6 Quattro.... Im laughing as i read your posts.. I was convinced that keeping my foot out of it was buying me time... I am hoping to get my hands on a complete timing kit and getting it done in the next week .. Leading me to the last question i guess... What complete kit (brand) has everything that has been suggested to change... pump,pully,belt etc... Mike
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i like blau. i also like their seal kit... and the fact they rent you the complete tool set for only like 35 dollars and include a complete packet with pictures on how to do it
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

LOL...taking connectors off w/o breaking them....on my old 2K4.2 I'm replacing broken/fragged connectors every time I even touch one of them...good thing they're generally available.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to chime in - I just did this for the first time on my mom's car about 3 weeks ago. Actually, I'm still doing it.

2-3 hours is, as 4Driver4 said, WILDLY optimistic for a first timer. Getting the car into service position may take you 2-3 hours the first time (but most likely less). I'm pretty slow, but this was the second time I put it into service position and I'd say it took me about 75 minutes.

If you're like me, it takes you a while to figure out what you're looking at and you want to know before you work - or at least THINK you know. This means the actual timing belt section will take a while.

As 4Driver4 said - doing EVERYTHING, including the CAM seals will take even longer.

4Driver4 is one of the few people who I've seen that actually advises to change the CAM seals. So many people on these forums have said not to touch the cams unless something is wrong. I have to say that I agree with 4Driver4. After having done these - it's more fear based and less of a hassle than it's made out to be, if you have and use the right tools.

The big lesson I learned was not to GET the right tools, but to USE the right tools. I didn't use the crank locking pin and it screwed things up royally for me - but with the help of the board, I think *fingers crossed* that I have everything back in order timing-wise. Using the tools, I got everything lined back up with not too much hassle after I had the right advice and learned.

Finally, I am still doing this job - but it got more involved for me. I wound up finding some major scoring on my camshafts (which I wouldn't have found if I didn't replace the cam seals and go the whole way). I ordered a new head 2 weeks ago, it took a week to get to me, and then last weekend I found out that it was the head for the wrong side after I had everything apart.

In retrospect, the timing belt was actually much easier than I thought it would be and I'm confident that I could do it again in about 8-10 hours start to scratch including everything. I am also confident that after a few more times I may be able to get that down to 6-8 hours. Under 5 I would think would be doable, if you moved quickly and were very experienced - but that's not the typical person.

A 2 day expectation the first time is realistic. 1 day after that and you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a good friend who is a mechanic and has been doing it for years... He owned his own shop for years and was a mechanic on one of the Craftsman Truck (now Camping World series) teams for a while.. He still has his lifts and big kid tools... I imagine i will be his gopher on this one.. I just want to have step by step picts. and instructions on hand to error on the side of caution.. I am very aware that a stock car and an Audi are two completely different animals.. the reason to have picts./instructions on hand... Everyone on this post has been great.. My speed is more like the TBB (thanks 2.7Lturbo),DVs, breaks, and O2 sensors... Which i will be doing when the weather improves.. Im hoping he can knock it out on a Saturday.. Mike
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well, at 178 (3x the proper interval) anything can happen!