A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Timing Belt Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Repair

As my car is nearing the 80k mark I need to consider the timing belt repair. I am considering doing this myself with the advice of someone who has done the repair on a 12v-V6. I will have access to the VAG tools for this repair, I believe they are the same for all the V6 motors.

First off I guess I need a part list of what will need to be replaced. Here is my list so far. Can anyone add to it?

-Timing Belt ($40)
-Timing Belt tensioner ($85)
-Timing Belt roller pulley ($60)
-Water pump ($172)
-Water Pump Gasket ($5)
-Thermostat ($22)
-(coolant change)

Anyone have any good recommendations on where to buy the parts kit and about how much they will run?

Secondly has anyone done a tech write up on a timing belt repair on 2.7t? Anyone have any BTDT they would recommend?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Replace the serp belt and tensioner while you're in there.

I'm sure you've seen the write-up in the tech section, most of that should be pretty close on the 2.7t motor. As for the pricing, I'd check around with bimmerparts.com or germanautoparts.com for pricing, I think I only paid $40 or so for the water pump and it came with a gasket. One of them had a package deal on a timing belt change that was priced really well.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you guys ever want to take pictues and write a procedure, I'll post it on audipages
Old 09-03-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Timing Belt Repair

Do not forget thermostat o-ring, it's usually listed as a separate item ( $1 ), it may or may not be included with thermostat. Just make sure you have it before you start the repair.

I had great experience with germanautoparts.com, both price and service-wise. They may not have all the parts listed on their web site for whatever reason, but they do have them in stock if you call them and ask.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is that the recommendation for '00? My '01 manual says 105K miles?

I'd replace every normally concealed wear item thats exposed because of the timing belt job, especially the serpentine belt and water pump.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default The 2.7t should be more or less the same as the 30v 2.8..

I am sure that there are plumbig issues related to the turbos that we don't have on the 2.8, but the cam holder and crank holder should be the same, as with the water pump, and the belt itself..

If you have any questions, feel free to email me, or ask here, I've done my 30v A4, and our old 12v 2.8 as well. It's not hard, just takes a long time to do it 'right'.

Best place to get the parts is the one closest to you, with the best price. I like Adironcack a lot, they have great service, great prices.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK, time to post this. Been working on this for a day or two. Need review/comments/suggestions.

Planning for the A6, have generated this. Comments welcome/encouraged.

A6 (C5) 2.8 30V Timing Belt Replacement

Must do items - parts list.

Timing Belt
--------------------------------------
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Idler Pulley
Timing Belt Tensioner
Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley

Water Pump
Water pump
Water pump gasket
Thermostat
Thermostat gasket

Other items to consider - parts list

Serpentine Belt
Serpentine Belt
Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Seals
Both cam adjuster seals
Four cams seals
Both valve cover gaskets
front crank oil seal

Links / References
------------------------------------------------
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/277883.phtml">Good pic of bumper removed, engine open</a>

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng39.shtml">1999 A6 2.8 Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement from Audiworld Tech Section</a>

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/750523.phtml">Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement comments.</a>

<a href="http://www.audiquattroparts.com/engines%20and%20transmissions/timing_belt_kit.htm">Timing Belt parts kits and alignment tool rental from Blaufergnügen! Inc.</a>

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1742406.phtml">99.5 A4 2.8 30v Timing belt change completed ... lots of pics</a>
Old 09-04-2003, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FYI.....

The 2.7T and the 2.8 have slightly different waterpumps.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Seals

Your seals stated look like overkill. I think most of us know that the seals listed here will eventually leak. But changing all those seals ourselves complicates the procedure a bit.

The cam adjuster seals are quite difficult to change, requires removing the cams (at least moving them out of the way). I would not put the cam adjuster seals in the "standard" timing belt procedure. To me that's a seperate item. Yes, it would be a good time to do it with the timing belt but leaks should be verfied first; due to the difficulty in replacing these seals.

The cam and crank seals are also a good idea to do. However, these seals also complicate the procedure a bit since you have to remove the sprockets. I would check these seals and only replace if they are leaking. The reason I say this is that I brought an Audi (not the A6) to my mechanic for a timing belt change. I asked him to change the cam and crank seals on the car. The crank seal didn't leak before but has always leaked since. Because of this I put these seals in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it category". I've also started doing my own timing belts too ;-)

Anyway, that's my two cents on the seals. The rest of the parts look good.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dan already has one in the AW Tech section.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Repair