A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tip steering wheel controls, useful or useless?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip steering wheel controls, useful or useless?

I have the oppotunity of buying an 2002 S6 with Tiptronic steering wheel controls, or a 2003 that does not have any Tip controls, but has audio controls on the wheel instead. To you guys who have Tip controls on the wheel, do you still use them? Or are they a novelty that wears out over time and you just leave it in D or S? If so, I'll opt for a 2003.

I do mostly urban/city driving and have an S4 Avant with 6 spd, so I am used to a manual shift. In fact our past four cars have been manuals. This car would be the first auto for me and my wife in 15 years.

Thanks for any input!

Larry
Old 12-28-2002, 03:36 PM

Default I leave it in S most of the time.

Don't really use the tip buttons.

But does the audio controls come on the 4 spoke wheel then. If so I'd go for the 2002 with the nice 3 spoke wheel...
Old 12-28-2002, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bit of a dilemma there...

On my 4.2 I always wanted the steering wheel TIP control, and now that I have it on the S6 I miss the radio volume control and heated (and slightly fatter) wheel that I had. On the other hand, the 3-spoke wheel is definitely "sportier" with the thumb detents and all. I still occasionally reach for the volume controls of the old wheel. Something: the transmission is so much better/responsive in "D" and so, so, so much better in "S" (not part of the '01 trans) than the 2001 and there's still TIP shifting using the lever. I do use the steering wheel TIP controls every now and then, but don't really rely on them as the trans is so comparatively sorted now.

So, a dilemma...all things being equal (they're not as you're looking at 2002 vs. 2003, etc.) I think that I would go for the three-spoke wheel, but not necessarily because of the TIP control.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "D" much of the time, "S" when I'm feeling agressive, but "Tip" is definitely the way to go if...

...you're at the track, or want to hold a lower gear without having to floor it (as with "S" or "D"). As for the on-wheel "Tip" controls...there again, they're nice at the track (because you don't have to remove your hand from the wheel), but I'm not entirely sure the shifter on the center console isn't slightly faster to respond, than the steering wheel buttons...could be all in my head. The 3-spoke sport wheel has a nicer feel and shape than the 4-spoke. Also, it's not often that I'm wanting to adjust the radio at same moment where it would be unsafe to remove a hand from the wheel (heavy cell phone users excepted), but it may be the case that I'd like to shift in that kind of tight situation.
Old 12-28-2002, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A year later, I use the tip mode once or twice a week, its not about going faster

as much as it is about control and just not getting up or (particularly for me ) downshifts when you don't want them. I'm about 50/50 between the buttons and the lever. I prefer the buttons but if I'm turning the wheel I find myself using the lever as it is a more positive thing. FWIW I'm coming from mostly manual shift cars both previous to the S6 and in my other current cars.

Maybe I'm just an old fart (just ask my wife, she has more track tropjies than me) but a lot of times when I'm driving briskly (not flat out) , already doing 3.5 or 4k rpm and asking the engine room for a bit more suds, I don't always want a down shift, I just want to use the full available torque. If I were to leave it in D or S in that situation it will usually get you a downshift by treading deeper in the pedal. I'd still be happy with the lever if there were no tip buttons but if given the choice between them and audio controls, my personal choice would be the tip set up. If it were a choice between '02 and '03, and there was the expected big discount for the '02, I'd consider it a plus in the '02s favor but not a deal breaker.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:47 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default DOnt have the S6 but I would rather have radio controls on the wheel

Use them alot and it keeps my eyes from straying to the radio to reach dials. All personal preference. I tried the S4 paddles and still feel this way. I dont mind having to move the selector feels very natural.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get the tip controls...the radio controls are no big deal...

I never use 'em...but I realize some people really like 'em.
Actually, I don't use the tip controls often either, so my opinion is useless.