A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tiptronic stuck in first... Usually when starting the car warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic stuck in first... (updated fixed)

I used the search and read some interesting stuff including this post.... https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...nic+Stuck+gear

I just cannot find much data on this problem. Here is what I know about the car and the problem (I bought it for $1k a few weeks ago)

Car was towed with transmission problems as the main fail point but it wouldn't start. Ground strap was dirty and caused the no start.

Trans was stuck in limp mode. Reset TCU and trans worked but after a long drive and fuel stop(shutting the car off then restarting) it got stuck in first. Reset codes after car was cool and worked great. Previous owner trashed torque converter and first/reverse went after minimal driving.

Replaced Tiptronic (DPT Code) with 50k used trans. (what a pain on stands in the driveway with a cherry picker in the way lol) Reset codes and trans works well.

Next day after long drive and shut down, restart the car and I'm stuck in first. (codes for Park interlock http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00293 and Multifunction switchhttp://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01236 ) Also pull a code for engine load sensor if the check engine light comes on. (expected) ECU shows MAF signal too low sometimes but I have replaced MAF with new.

Last little tidbit.... I can tell if the car is going to get stuck in first by the Brake light on the shifter. IF the brake light illuminates when I start the car it will work fine. If it doesn't then I have to force the car into limp mode by pulling the TCU. I have tried a known good TCU and the trans has been replaced. I'm at a loss how to troubleshoot and I refuse to wear out a low miles trans in limp mode. Help me out???

1999 A6 2.8 Tip

Added later, as a general rule if the car is cold, the trans will work. Park interlock is functional when the light is lit. You can pull the car into gear without the brake if the light doesn't illuminate upon start. I've tried 3 different multifunction switches all used) and they all do the same thing.

Last edited by sounddude; 02-14-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Fixed problem
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Codes?
Has anyone taken a look at the TCU to see if it is swimming (well documented issue).
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Codes?
Has anyone taken a look at the TCU to see if it is swimming (well documented issue).
Codes were pasted in the original post (codes for Park interlock http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00293 and Multifunction switch http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01236 ) It also occasionally throws a code for Engine Load no signal (This is a MAF code from the ECU but as stated the MAF is new as of a couple of days ago)

I have tested with a known good TCU and it acts the same. (Also in orig message)

Last edited by sounddude; 02-11-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

IS anybody going to take a stab at this or is this forum just filled with people Claiming to be Tech Gurus who really just parrot what they've read somewhere else and don't even bother to actually read the posts anymore?

I'll post my findings when I get it fixed so that they can be parroted to someone else. Maybe someone can point me to a forum where there are some more knowledgeable Audi Techs?

Anyway, let me add a little since I've been driving the car with the new trans for a week or so now.

It doesn't only happen after shutting off the key, It happened to me the other day after just putting it in park and going back to drive. (this leads me toward the multifunction switch connector. Reason is, I've tried 3 (used) multifunction switches but the problem seems clearly related. I'm going to find a way to really clean the female side of the connection.)

Shaking the car or something similar has cleared the error twice. I'm really leaning towards an intermittent short or dirty connection. I'll keep this thread up to date if I don't get banned for calling someone out.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by sounddude
IS anybody going to take a stab at this or is this forum just filled with people Claiming to be Tech Gurus who really just parrot what they've read somewhere else and don't even bother to actually read the posts anymore?

I'll post my findings when I get it fixed so that they can be parroted to someone else. Maybe someone can point me to a forum where there are some more knowledgeable Audi Techs?
Actually, there are very few experts around here. Lots of opinions, but usually no complaints when the advice is free.

You want experts, try the audi dealer, but be prepared to pay.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No rennlist for Audi's?

I'm going to need a wiring diagram. Is it in the bently? What is the best place to buy the bently Manual? Is there a better manual?

Does anyone know offhand if the relay for the park interlock is in the TCM or is there an external relay? The Interlock Solenoid is 2 wire so there has to be a relay somewhere....

Last edited by sounddude; 02-13-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fixed it. Got the bently today at a local import supplier for 102$
Found some great links with wiring diagrams. (passat diagrams but same same)
Check these out
http://passat.pavsweb.com/docs/wiring.pdf
http://passat.pavsweb.com/docs/at_01V_diag.pdf
http://avtopedia.ru/akpp/audi_o1v_o1vl.pdf

It was fuse 31. I found that when in a failed state I didn't have power to the park interlock circuit which is fed by fuse 31 (same fuse that brings power to the multifunction switch itself) I put my meter on the fuse to check for power on either side and boom, my park interlock light comes on. I wiggle it and it goes on and off. Needed to tighten up the female side and now the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the interaction.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Good find...
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

We will make sure we parrot it to someone else...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
We will make sure we parrot it to someone else...
Just take the time to read their post first. That's all I'm saying. I probably fired from the hip 4driver and for that I apologize.

I've got over 20 years experience with German cars end electrical systems. If any of you ever get buried in an electrical problem feel free to PM me. I've got wiring diagrams now. lol

Quick Reply: Tiptronic stuck in first... Usually when starting the car warm