A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Tire suggestion for 2.7T.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire suggestion for 2.7T.

I am looking for new rubber and am not sure what do take. I have the choice between 6 dif models. Kumho ECSTA ASX - UHP AS
General Exclaim UHP
BF Goodridge g-force Sport UHPS
Yokohama Avid H4s HPAS
Avon Tech M550 A/s and the
Fusion HRi HPAS
If anyone has any experience with these tires please let me know.
Thanks so much.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the low cost, I've heard great things about the Avons
Old 04-26-2006, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you looking for high performance all-season only?

I would HIGHLY recommend the Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tire. I have tried several different brands/models, and I keep coming back to this one. Great traction, not much road noise, good treadwear rating, top marks for handling and performance. One thing to consider is the cost, but the tires are the ONLY thing keeping you on the road...don't skimp on tires EVER!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Dunlop SP 5000 Sport, great price from Tirerack & great tire. Last set of Avons were horrible.

Well, the Avons were quite good for a while once Roadforce balanced and the fitter found one arrangement where the lateral forces cancelled out and the car actually steered straight.

Then after 7500 miles they had VERY uneven wear producing the worst tramlining ever.

Not worth saving the $100 over a set of the Dunlops IMHO
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd on the skimping on the price. All my girls wear S03 Pole Positions.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It depends on what you want...of the tires you mentioned, I have experience with 3 of them....

The Kumho ASX is a middle of the road tire, that's cheap, and is suitable in very light snow. It's somewhat noisy. Not really my cup of tea...

The Yokohama Avids seem a bit stickier to me, are definitely quieter, and are also suitable for light snow. A friend of mine had a set of these on his Diamante and got 50,000 miles out of them. Of your choices, I'd probably pick this one for all season use.

The BF Goodrich g-force sports are noisier than the Yokohamas, great for summer traction, but totally unsuitable for the snow. I'd consider this one if you only want summer tires.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have Pzero Nero tires on 2 of my cars. I USED to think they were the cat's meow....

then I installed Continental Extreme Contact tires on my A6. I like them a LOT better. They're much quieter, less succeptible to tramlining (my biggest complaint with the Pirellis) and are noticibly better in light snow. I mean like night and day better.

Cheers,
Old 04-27-2006, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just bought Kumho ASX 235/45/17 and like them alot. Chose them based on Tire Rack reviews

I was going to get either the Bridgestone G009, or the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S as my original goal was to spend $130-$150 each for tires. However, after reading the specs, reviews and tests for the Kumho, I decided to take the chance on them at $89 ea. I've put about 1K miles on them and they are a very nice tire. We'll see when I have 20K but for now, it's all good.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I had the opposite experience with the Contis...

I had a set of 235 45 17's mounted on a set of new oem wheels, after mounting and re-mounting by the shop, they showed me that they were out of round (3 of the 4). Sent them back to Tire Rackf or full credit and replaced them with the Pirellis.

A second set of wheels that I acquired just before I sold the car (refinished S-line wheels) had new conti extremes, and when I took of my pirelli snowsport setup, the ride was worse on the contis, wobble back again. I almost wanted to mount the snow setup again so the person driving the car would not think there was something wrong with the car!

Yes, I tried to have the road-force balanced, to no avail...maybe another bum set of out-of-round contis? Who knows. I agree that the Contis have very good ratings, and are a great tire, but after those two experiences, I am not going to go out of my way to buy those again.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just purchased 4 MT500 for the summer, going on by next week. I'll try to post info soon.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestion for 2.7T.