A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRES

hi guys so i am in need for some new tires and would like to no what you would recommend...
Thanks guys!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

there is no way to recommend something without more facts. What do you want them to do? Go through snow? Be cheap and long lasting? Does price matter to you? what model - tire size and wheel size???

If you really know nothing about tires, you need a trusted tire dealer. Tire rack, via mail is good, although it can be a nightmare if they are out of round and the local intall shop cant take responsibility (Since they didn't sell them....).

Many "off" brands offer good value - Khumo, Sumitomo, Hankook, toyo - while Michelin probably makes the best ( and costliest) tires in each category.

First figure out what you want. No tire does everything well. Then do some comparisons on Tire rack.com

The n come back here. Until then, any advice you *do* get is suspect.

G
Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

235 40 18 and i need a all season tire for snow and rain...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last November, I had a set of four Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + tires installed on my 4.2. (255/40/17)

I noticed an immediate difference over the previous Continental ContiExtreme Contacts. The new tires made the steering respond quicker and more confidently. They feel reassuring in both dry and wet conditions.

Keep in mind that when you have "performance all season" tires this wide, care and attention must truly be exercised in the winter time. While light snow and slush were not a real problem, I found that wet snow and ice demanded a higher level of vigilance and care. I suppose it can be argued, however, that ice is treacherous for most tires. Also, since 4.2's are lower to the ground, there is an increased risk of getting high centered which may be hard to get out of on your own.

I managed to experience a skid when driving along a road around 30km/h. The road started to curve, and when I turned the steering wheel to match, I found I was still going straight. Straight until ESP managed to correct the problem, though I had overcompensated and turned too sharply when I found my initial steering inputs were futile. This caused the back end to tap the curb gently. The road surface was ice, thinly disguised by a layer of light, deceptive snow. That said, I take extra caution in the winter time and don't want cast a negative light on these tires as they are quite good. It has been a mild winter here and I haven't had any other weird things happen.

Aside from that, I am happy with the tires. They are quiet, though they seem to ride a little bit more stiffly than the previous set. As mentioned before, they handle well in dry and wet weather.

For extra winter performance, I think the Nokian WR or WRG2 tires may be a good choice, but that's just my thoughts without any real experience. Perhaps someone has experience with those tires? The best option would be a separate set of summer and winter tires.

I also looked at the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS tires, however, the tire retailer was out of stock and claimed that there would be no stock until the winter was over. These also seemed promising...

Hope that helped.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

DWS +1 really good tires
Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm. 235/40 is a tough size for ANY all season if you really want decent snow performance. Truth is, can't be done. Nonetheless, you want to get as close as possible i guess.

Few a/s tires are even available in that size. If they are, you might look at the sumi htr+.

Personally, i'd get a good set of summers, and then some dedicated 16" winter tires, if you live where you get snow, and need to drive.

G
Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

here is a picture of my rim i know no specs on it i was wondering do you think it is okay to run a 225 40 18

Old 05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What you can do is use the 1010Tires Tire Size Calculator to figure out how much different the overall diameter will be (and any speedometer error).

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

By going to 225/40/18, you'd have an overall diameter difference of 1.26% and a speedometer error of 1.282% too fast, anything below 3%, they say, is fine.

Consider testing out different sizes if you can find more tire choices. Just keep an eye on the rim width, however.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have them now. As i noted, they are probably best in category. But they are very costly, and they are useless in snow - and will b even more useless in 235/40. Thy are also pretty soft. That said, i have them and like them on my S6 ( but in a "minus one" size)

They are nothing like my Pilot Sport Ribs. A/s is a compromise - "does notning well"

G
Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

D=2r; C=2*pi*r; 1" = 25.4cm
Sidewall = section width * aspect ratio

proceed

Quick Reply: TIRES