A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Track Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Tire Question

Now that I have the wheels nailed down for my track set up, I'm looking for input on track tires. The wheels I plan to run are 17x8. My current "street" setup is 235/45/17's. I've heard a lot of good comments on the V700 Victoracer, and that's only available in 225 and 245 widths... Anyone running the 245 width? I'm worried about rubbing (on suspension components and/or wheel wells). I know the 225 will work, but I'd like to max rubber on the road...

It looks like the Toyo RA-1 is available in the 235/45/17 size - anyone used this tire?

Any input welcome...

Thanks,

Dave
Old 02-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default I went with Kuhmo V700 Escta's. Luv em. 235/40-17.

Tried Victorracers 245's, they hit the wheel well on bumps.
An S4 ran the Toyo RA-1's at Pahrump last year, seemed to do well. I dont remember the size
Old 02-02-2003, 05:57 PM

I have the V700 in a 255 on a 17*8 no rubbing.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: RA-1 and PZero (What? you say!) experience

For starters I go to the track to have fun. I try not to techo-junkie myself or my wallet to death, just put together some laps and see if I can catch everybody. <big grin>

The Kuhmo and now apparently, the new Falkin Azinis (sp?) are the fastest laping tires these days from what my friends say.

The RA-1 is my personal drug of choice. Not the quickest lapping tire driving 11/10ths and much slower than dedicated autocross tires. Instead, it is a true road racing tire made to turn lap after lap. I believe it has been very successful at Nelson Ledges 24hr by virture of teams having to change fewer tires, duh.

With Kuhmo and Hoosier, their 'track' tires seem to be soft compound by comparision. I can have cars walking away in corners or being just really hard to catch in the morning sessions. In the afternoon I have often gone out and easily caught these same cars on the RA-1. Others have driven through a set of tires while properly run, the RA-1 may go for three or possiblty four track days. Hundreds of miles. A person could learn to drive quite quickly on the RA-1.

It is therefore economical. Like all the DOT race tires one has to have the car aligned properly for the particular tire you are running and you have to pay careful attention to tire pressures to run with the "A" and "B" groups. The RA-1 has a very mellow turn-in and break away that rewards smooth, patient driving. It is a very honest tire in this regard.

I guess while am I thinking about it, I have also used 225/40-18 "N3" Porsche tread Pirelli PZero because our track tempratures get so high in the summer. Even the Toyo RA-1 will blister if driven too hard in these conditions. In the past I have aways waited until my PZero street tires are down to about 4/32 and then I take them to every event in the summer I can find. I have even taken them off the car in spring just to save them for summer racing because they are fun to drive.

However, do not try to run them bald, they will not do it. In high ambient it is a viable track tire. On the street it is stiff, noisy, and fairly short lived if you treat it properly. (AKA drive it 7-8/10th alot) From what I gather, most reviews on the TireRack have missed the whole point of this tire. But running Big Willow in 100+ ambient it has more control and stamana than a DOT racing tire. Probably Toyo T1-s, Michelin Pilot and Bridgestone S-03 would do similar, but the "N3" solid ribbed PZero has the edge in my experience.

Has anyone driven the new Michelin DOT Pilot track tire? I would like to hear.

==m==
Mike
still new 2002 2.7tip only 2500 smiles yet.
Just conv,leather/sun at a very good price.
First mod - home made sport suspension w/Biltein Sport and 03 PSK springs, rear bar.
Second mod some 235 tires 17 or 18.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Get the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups...

They were originally developed for PCA club racing, so we had them to ourselves last year - Tire Rack would only sell them to PCA club racers. They make the Hoosiers look silly since they last 3-4 times as long. From a grip perspective, they are 95% of the Hoosier, which by the way is the gripiest tire you can run short of a real slick. I know of competitive club racers using two sets for a whole season of about 15 race weekends. These are the same guys that used to use 10 sets of Hoosiers a year.

Another good aspect of the Michelin is that you can drive it on the street, in fact I know some 993 guys that use that as their street tire. The Hoosier you can since it has nylon belts rather than steel belts - I have had sharp stones put holes in my Hoosiers.

As far as Grip, the Kuhmos are far down the list compared to these two tires, but their prices are much better. But the Cup tire is $225 and it will last forever if you are just doing DEs. Your decision, but for what you want to do, I would buy the Cups, put them on your rims and then swap wheels before going to the track - drive there and home on the cup tires. Otherwise, I would get the Kuhmos and swap them out once you get to the track via your street tires.

Good luck,

E. J.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&url=%2Ftires%2Ftires.jsp%3FtireMake%3D Michelin%26amp%3BtireModel%3DPilot%2BSport%2BCup"> Tire Rack Michelin Pilot Sport</a></li></ul>
Old 02-03-2003, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: RA-1 and PZero (What? you say!) experience

Todd Serotta who has tons of track experience on just about every tire out there concluded that for the money it is the RA-1. I have only run on them and find them a great tire. I run about 6-8 events a year (12-16 days) and have a 4000lb car and they will almost last me that long. Todd's conclusion was that for simple lapping days or driving schools where the seconds don't matter as much, their wear characteristics are the best.

Sure Kuhmos are faster and cheaper but you will get half the life out of them. I for one know I am not even exploiting the edge of the RA1 that often so I don't need more grip just yet.