A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Trading in my 2000 A6 2.7 for a turbo Subaru forester (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If you want resale value, buy an M5 or a Ferrari. Otherwise, get real.

My next purchase will be a Elise and I have no idea of resale value on them. Resale is not a motivation for me to buy a car. But seeing a car depriciate faster then I EXPECTED does **** me off.

And I blame the bad rap these cars have on why they depricate faster. And I blame the bad wrap on Audi build quality.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was totally unimpressed

I just drove a Forester XT (turbo) yesterday because my wife is interested in replacing her Jetta. It drove well enough, though it didn't live up to its billing. I was absolutely appalled at the cheap build and cheesy interior. For a $25K+ car, its pathetic. Subaru is definitely off our list.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:01 PM

Default I may be coming off as too negative on Audi

Audi designs fine exciting automobiles. These cars have lots going for them - performance, "tunerability", looks, best interiors, etc....

I had mine for almost 4 years. Most of my repairs were fixed while still under warranty.

I am though unhappy about having to worry about TBB, Turbo's, etc... And thus decided to get rid of car.

I hope if Audi has improved 2001 and later A6 2.7T's, it makes the same changes free of charge to current 2000 owners. There is always a danger when you grab a new model before it had a chance to be tested in the market place, but I expect the manufacturer to make good, and not wait for the part to fail before replacing it (do a minor recall to bring these cars up to speck)

Anyhow to all the A6 owners - keep enjoying your fine automobiles. There are always unhappy/Disgruntled owners, I just slowily evolved into one.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Umm yea.

There were changes made to the 2.7t in 2001 on that addressed a lot of the turbo issues.

( had a S4 at one time... so I understand. I went with the S6 for space reasons not that I had any problems with the S4...)
Old 10-12-2003, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nothing ever wrong with your car, you just couldn't stand *worrying* about it?

Oh boy, it's not a different brand that you need...................
Old 10-12-2003, 09:21 PM

Default On resale values....

I think a lot of what you see with the Audi is still somewhat of a side effect of the 80's "unintended accelleration issue".

Audi is still seen by a lot of folks as a second tier player in the luxury/performance sedan space. So that plays a part in the resale value.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Elder Member

Default Take one of these and call me in the morning!

Here's a fix for your TBB. If you haven't had turbo problems by now what make you think you will? There's plenty of older 2.7t's running stong out there. You seem to be focusing on the negative.<ul><li><a href="http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/bipipe.html#">TBB fix</a></li></ul>
Old 10-12-2003, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, Subaru screwed us on our Outback...it sucked...and depreciated to ZERO!

Additionally, my parents were forced to trade their one year old Outback after 2 episodes of sudden acceleration that Subaru claimed never happened and would not do anything to help figure out the problem. 50% depreciation in just over 1 year!!!

My 4.2 only depreciated 32% after 2 1/2 years!

I'm done with Subaru...they suck and their service sucks.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm trading my kid in for a pet rock (rant)...

Finally I got so sick of the horrendous depreciation of this damn kid...it was free at first, or so I thought...but soon after I realized how much it cost...and just keeps costing more - that I just wanted to get rid of it.

Pet rock seems to be just about on Par, just as fast or faster (kid can't walk or talk yet), cheaper to maintain (rock don't cost nuthin'), and much better utility (the rock holds down my papers when the wind blows).

Alas good by baby (assuming the rock dealer does not screw me) and I promise not to buy another baby - until this brand stabilizes both the spiraling depreciation, and the quality of build (damn baby is weak...can't lift 10 pounds) (too much stuff brakes on these babies (ear infections, immunizations, snotty noses), and the repair is too costly (doctors suck, they charge way too much) - and thus the depreciation (damn kid never earned a dime)

Very, very bizarre...it's perfectly fine that you've decided that the risk of a costly repair on your Audi is not worth it...many people decide to sell or trade their 3-4 year old vehicles before the warranty is up...but the pissing and moaning about something that hasn't happened is infantile...ok, perhaps toddler-esque. Get over yourself...sell your Audi and get your Forester...who cares...
Old 10-13-2003, 02:15 AM

Depreciation means I've got something others don't want, my tastes are never mainstream, oh well.

Quick Reply: Trading in my 2000 A6 2.7 for a turbo Subaru forester (rant)