A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Control Module (TCM) soft coding experiment (update).

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default (answers to your): "A couple of questions..."

First, great job. I seriously doubt these settings will cause any problems with the tip.

--> Thanks. I also seriously doubt that the soft codings will cause any problems. My feeling is that Bosch (that did the electronics/programming) and ZF (that deliver the complete package including transmission and electronics to Audi) would not leave destructive codings in the unit.

1. If the "2" bit is set alone (allowing 1st gear to work), will sport mode "accumulate" the same as the stock setting? That is, will more agressive driving still make the tip more sporty?

--> First, there are no "bits" but decimal digits. I'll assume you mean "Sport Mode" (or coding "00012") in my answer). If you drive "agressively" the value of the index will go above 50. I accelerated quickly into a corner recently and even got the value that is normally "0" ("Driving Resistance Index") to change to a non-zero value. I've been able to get the "Dynamic Index Number" into the *cough* high 80's.

2. How does setting the "2" bit affect downshifts? Can you get into 1st without a near stop (or stomping on the gas)?

--> I'll assume you are referring to coding value of "00022". To be honest, it is *very* hard to tell what is going on during the upshift/downshift (due to only getting 3 samples per second from the measuring blocks). I will definitely say that the torque converter "slips" during both upshift and downshifts in order to rev-match the parts of the tranny (to keep things smooth). The "indicated gear" value always goes from gear x to gear y within one polling cycle (.33 seconds). I have noticed that the entire shift can take upwards of 1.5 seconds before the input to the tranny and output approach the desired gear ratio. It is hard with the measuring blocks that are provided to easily see when a shift actually starts and when it ends.

3. When setting the "1" bit (sport mode), is it just like the progressive sport mode we all know about? I read earlier posts that it starts you at a value of 50, but is there any other difference?

--> The program index is easy to see, all other behavior is hard to see (even with a butt-dyno). I'll continue to log data to determine any other possible behavior.

FYI. The manual implies there are multiple sport modes that happen depending on driver behavior. Could those extra bits force each sport mode?

--> I've pretty much exhausted the coding values and have found no additional functionality. At the time of this posting I still have not figured out what the value of "1" in the 1,000's position does to change behavior.

Thanks,
...bill

--> Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Perhaps Garrett Lim from GIAC can do this...

By the way, I have forwarded links to all my experiments to Garrett Lim and he has yet to acknowledge them or provide any insight to the findings.

I'm hoping we can show that the codings we have already found can be used to reduce shift times from stock coding. The hard part is duplicating the exact driving style between re-codings to compare.

The tranny seems to downshift through the gears as you come to a stop in every soft coding mode I have found so far... I agree that it can be annoying... especially on an icy road! This downshifting on a friction-less surface could really cause the EDL/ABS to throw a tizzy.

/dan
Old 04-22-2002, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perhaps these features are coincident with paying "Gas Guzzler" tax :-)
Old 04-23-2002, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stoney. just send you email

let me know when to meet up.. i will bring cable and laptop.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:05 PM

Is this reliable???? how much is the Tool to recalibrate it?
Old 04-23-2002, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Recoding is a common procedure for other features. Cost of VAG-com interface is...

... about $200, and you need a PC (portable, or a looong serial cable). But, if you have other Audi enthusiasts in the area, you can generally find one to volunteer to do it for you for free.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html">Ross-Tech Vag-com info</a></li></ul>
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guys, i have Audi S8 2000 make. (european) 265KW I open with Vag coding, and i see: 00001, i try to change to the codes you wrote here, and it seems to accept it but it does not. It always stays 00001. Do you know why is that ? I have also 97' A8 4.2q. And I was easily able to change coding to 000012, and everything changed, i loved it. But on S8, i cant do it. Also revs keep to 6700rpm only. I feel im not exploring everything what my car can do. I want to figure this out, any ideas? i tried all the codes, 00032, 00002, 000012, 00011, everything, but nothing was accepted. THanks for advice!

Andrew,
Old 11-14-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys ,
I have a 2000 S6 , will these codes work on my car ?
Cheers
Dave