A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission will not engage after having trans out

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad pump?

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
What makes you think the pump is bad?
After installing and filling trans I'm getting no wheel movement?

Pulled off cooler lines and no fluid spraying out... No pressure?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=shane0569;24592905]After installing and filling trans I'm getting no wheel movement?

OH…that's why you think the pump is bad?
Did you do all the following below?

Did you prime the TC? Trans has to be filled, then engine started, then put through gears, filled again, engine stays running!, trans come up to temp but not over temp, filled so it just overflows the sill of the fill standpipe, close it up, THEN shut off the engine.

If you primed the TC and oiled the hydraulic pump through its output (around the input shaft) and did the rest but don't get any fluid through the cooler the hydraulic pump is shot or not installed correctly or the TC isn't turning the hydraulic pump impeller, etc.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Maybe some resolution? Still need help

Okay so, we are coming to some sort of resolution here. (Good or bad, I don't know).

I separated the engine and trans and A LOT of fluid came pouring out of the TC. So there was definitely some pumping going on in there...

Here is a pic of inside the TC
Name:  20140804_174912.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  99.0 KB

Upon inspection of the splined shaft on the pump end I noticed a couple things. I will include pics to make things easier.

There is slight marring on the ends of the splines...not sure if you can see it or not. Not terrible and the TC still slides on reasonably easy, but still there.
Name:  20140804_174857.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  78.9 KB

And here is the problem...
Name:  20140804_175117.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  20140804_181740.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  60.7 KB

Those metal tabs broke off...not sure when. But definitely an issue. I found them.inside the pump. You can see them in the one picture before I fished em out.

So I assume that they were part of the pump, which means I would need a new one right?

Does anyone know what purpose they serve?

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shane0569
Okay so, we are coming to some sort of resolution here. (Good or bad, I don't know).

I separated the engine and trans and A LOT of fluid came pouring out of the TC. So there was definitely some pumping going on in there...

Here is a pic of inside the TC

Upon inspection of the splined shaft on the pump end I noticed a couple things. I will include pics to make things easier.

There is slight marring on the ends of the splines...not sure if you can see it or not. Not terrible and the TC still slides on reasonably easy, but still there.

And here is the problem...

Those metal tabs broke off...not sure when. But definitely an issue. I found them.inside the pump. You can see them in the one picture before I fished em out.

So I assume that they were part of the pump, which means I would need a new one right?

Does anyone know what purpose they serve?

Thanks again.
Holy Chit! Those bits look like they fit exactly the slots in the TC…try it.
The TC was probably improperly installed…broke off the **** (those bits) on the hydraulic pump. No ****, no drive the hydraulic pump (there's a joke there but certainly not PC in this day and age…)
Get a new pump.

BTW, it's obscenely low what price alibaba.com sells these for…gotta wonder!!! But for a couple bucks plus post from China, who knows?

5hp-19 Transmission Oil Pump - Buy 5hp19 Oil Pump,Gear Oil Pump,Auto Oil Pump Product on Alibaba.com
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-05-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Holy Chit! Those bits look like they fit exactly the slots in the TC…try it.
The TC was probably improperly installed…broke off the **** (those bits) on the hydraulic pump. No ****, no drive the hydraulic pump (there's a joke there but certainly not PC in this day and age…)
Get a new pump.

BTW, it's obscenely low what price alibaba.com sells these for…gotta wonder!!! But for a couple bucks plus post from China, who knows?

5hp-19 Transmission Oil Pump - Buy 5hp19 Oil Pump,Gear Oil Pump,Auto Oil Pump Product on Alibaba.com
Yeah that is super cheap...does make you wonder. I couldn't wait for a shipment from china , so I got a used one on eBay. Will be here tomorrow and I'm going to dig in. Do you know if I must remove the valve body and the oil tubes that go to the oil pump before pulling the stator/pump out of the end of the trans? I'm really hoping not.

And if I do have to, does anyone know I'd there are any parts that that will definitely break or need replaced in the process? (Like those little tubes)

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah that is super cheap...does make you wonder. I couldn't wait for a shipment from china , so I got a used one on eBay. Will be here tomorrow and I'm going to dig in. Do you know if I must remove the valve body and the oil tubes that go to the oil pump before pulling the stator/pump out of the end of the trans? I'm really hoping not.

And if I do have to, does anyone know I'd there are any parts that that will definitely break or need replaced in the process? (Like those little tubes)

Thanks!
The answer is yes.
Here is one link,
Project 5HP19 Transmission: Oil Pump and C clutch - E46Fanatics

5HP19 is used in some BMW E46 cars.

Your best bet is to get a ZF manual, but as you can see from the pic, the hydraulic pump is held from the back of the intermediate plate and stator shaft. The intermediate plate comes out and then you can remove the pump.

BTW..you will need some O-rings, you should replace those you see/that come out.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The answer is yes.
Here is one link,
Project 5HP19 Transmission: Oil Pump and C clutch - E46Fanatics

5HP19 is used in some BMW E46 cars.

Your best bet is to get a ZF manual, but as you can see from the pic, the hydraulic pump is held from the back of the intermediate plate and stator shaft. The intermediate plate comes out and then you can remove the pump.

BTW..you will need some O-rings, you should replace those you see/that come out.
Thanks for the link.
I'm sorry I should have stated that I purchased the whole Pump/Stator/"C" Clutch assembly to simplify things.

The trans shown in that link is the BMW one like you stated I believe which is only rear wheel drive. Mine, being all wheel drive is slightly different. The BMW version has those two plastic tubes going between the valve body and the pump. I believe mine has four smaller/narrower black tubes that do the same thing...just not sure if they have to be removed before sliding the whole stator/pump unit out of the end of the trans.

Would hate to remove the valve body if not necessary.

Let me know if you have a positive answer on this.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the link.
I'm sorry I should have stated that I purchased the whole Pump/Stator/"C" Clutch assembly to simplify things.

The trans shown in that link is the BMW one like you stated I believe which is only rear wheel drive. Mine, being all wheel drive is slightly different. The BMW version has those two plastic tubes going between the valve body and the pump. I believe mine has four smaller/narrower black tubes that do the same thing...just not sure if they have to be removed before sliding the whole stator/pump unit out of the end of the trans.

Would hate to remove the valve body if not necessary.

Let me know if you have a positive answer on this.

Thanks!
If I were doing it I would drop the valve body. Take a squint at your new part and I think you will see the holes that the four black tubes go into are deep enough that they would have to be pulled…as well as perhaps O-rings that go in there, there are probably O-ring slots in the hydraulic pump. Generally you should use new O-rings wherever you see an opportunity to replace them.

I've lost the complete thread on this issue, but as long as the valve body is out you might as well check it for clogs in the sensor and solenoid screens.

You can always call ZF in Illinois and get a tech guy to answer or, like I said before, get the ZF service manual. I would be real hesitant to do any of this stuff without the ZF tech manual.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I were doing it I would drop the valve body. Take a squint at your new part and I think you will see the holes that the four black tubes go into are deep enough that they would have to be pulled…as well as perhaps O-rings that go in there, there are probably O-ring slots in the hydraulic pump. Generally you should use new O-rings wherever you see an opportunity to replace them.

I've lost the complete thread on this issue, but as long as the valve body is out you might as well check it for clogs in the sensor and solenoid screens.

You can always call ZF in Illinois and get a tech guy to answer or, like I said before, get the ZF service manual. I would be real hesitant to do any of this stuff without the ZF tech manual.
Hey! Well, I'm deep into it now...wrestling with getting all the clutch pack aligned is no walk in the park, that's for sure, but I'll get there.

Onto hopefully my final issue. I need those tubes. The ones I removed ripped as I expected they would.

These are the tubes...there are 5...not 4 like I originally thought.

Name:  20140807_201626.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  51.9 KB

And here is a diagram depicting their location...number 385.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-08-07-21-30-24.png
Views: 2009
Size:  585.3 KB

I cannot find these ANYWHERE.

You mentioned ZF in Illinois?
Would that be the best source?

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey! Well, I'm deep into it now...wrestling with getting all the clutch pack aligned is no walk in the park, that's for sure, but I'll get there.

Onto hopefully my final issue. I need those tubes. The ones I removed ripped as I expected they would.

These are the tubes...there are 5...not 4 like I originally thought.

And here is a diagram depicting their location...number 385.

I cannot find these ANYWHERE.

You mentioned ZF in Illinois?
Would that be the best source?

Thanks again.
If you have the p/n just google it…the ZF outfit in IL is a rebuild place, I don't think they do retail. There are also ZF parts suppliers in most states…
And wow..I can't even find the p/n in the oil supply group on the ZF parts catalog…385 is shown in the illustration, but no ZF p/n.
Yes, I think you'll have to call ZF in IL. Tell the operator you have a technical question or go through the automatic call switcher, etc.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission will not engage after having trans out