A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

trim/paint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim/paint question

I recently bought a 2000 A6 Quattro that had some pretty crappy bodywork done. I need to fix it. I cannot find the color code. It's not in the door jams, trunk, spare tire well, under hood.....anywhere! It sure looks silver but I am wondering how many different silvers, they used that year. Any insight would be appreciated. The jack*ss that "fixed" the damage painted below the middle door trim a different color! It's almost like they bought the wrong paint and said "screw it, good enough" The paint they used is the same color as the rubber guard in front of the tire, which either came beige or is discolored over time. Anyways.......how is the middle door trim attached from the factory? I have the blades off, no problem. I need to get the window chrome and middle door trim off. Any suggestions so I don't make it worse?

Many thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with the dealer on the paint. If it's silver, I believe Audi used only one kind of silver.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi silver

Originally Posted by sabresfan
I recently bought a 2000 A6 Quattro that had some pretty crappy bodywork done. I need to fix it. I cannot find the color code. It's not in the door jams, trunk, spare tire well, under hood.....anywhere! It sure looks silver but I am wondering how many different silvers, they used that year. Any insight would be appreciated. The jack*ss that "fixed" the damage painted below the middle door trim a different color! It's almost like they bought the wrong paint and said "screw it, good enough" The paint they used is the same color as the rubber guard in front of the tire, which either came beige or is discolored over time. Anyways.......how is the middle door trim attached from the factory? I have the blades off, no problem. I need to get the window chrome and middle door trim off. Any suggestions so I don't make it worse?

Many thanks!
The chance is high that you have the color code "LY7W" ("Lichtsilber") but several metallic and pearl effect silver colors can be found for 2000 models available.
Did you check the car's manual/inspection booklet in storage compartment below the steering column? The same information is in on a sticker under the carpet in the cargo area. Watch for "Lack Nr".
Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys.....huge help. Unfortunately, I do not have a manual. Any thoughts on the trim? I figure it is glued on but want to be extra careful not to make a bigger mess than it already is.