A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

trunk lid supposed to pop up from keyless?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk lid supposed to pop up from keyless?

Question, I have a 2004 Audi A6 so it's getting up there in years. I bought about a year ago, and love the car. Question I have is, when you press the keyless entry for the trunk, should the trunk fully open or just unlock? If it's just to unlock, what good does that do? If it's supposed to pop all the way open, do I just replace the trunk shocks? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Audi's and BMW's have been slow to accept the trunk opening mechanism in all but their higher-end series until more recently. The trunk is indeed "designed/engineered" not to open when you unlock it (perhaps to prevent rain/snow from getting in???).
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VerrierA6
Question, I have a 2004 Audi A6 so it's getting up there in years. I bought about a year ago, and love the car. Question I have is, when you press the keyless entry for the trunk, should the trunk fully open or just unlock? If it's just to unlock, what good does that do? If it's supposed to pop all the way open, do I just replace the trunk shocks? Thanks.
It is designed to unlock the trunk. There is no mechanism to push the lid open.

If you need to open the trunk, you can either press the UNLOCK button twice to open all doors + trunk, or just the trunk button to open the trunk only. Just a small convenience.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a 2004 and at first I didn't like it but then I thought.............
would I like to have the the open trunk lid fly up and maybe ruin it's suspension if I had to make a sudden stop? As far as I'm concerned it's a smart design.
I've left it unlatched a few times.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This past week I rented a VW Passat, and when I hit the trunk button the trunk opened, not just unlocked.

That got me thinking if maybe the trunk lid shocks on my 2000 A6 were worn out since it seems kind of dumb to have a trunk button in the door frame, and on the remote (both which allow you to unlock the trunk other ways) and not have it open.

So can someone who bought their Audi new confirm that it lacks self opening?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
This past week I rented a VW Passat, and when I hit the trunk button the trunk opened, not just unlocked.

That got me thinking if maybe the trunk lid shocks on my 2000 A6 were worn out since it seems kind of dumb to have a trunk button in the door frame, and on the remote (both which allow you to unlock the trunk other ways) and not have it open.

So can someone who bought their Audi new confirm that it lacks self opening?
Depends on what you mean by trunk (boot) opening. Both my S6 rear hatch and A6 boot will open about an inch when the unlock boot button on the fob or the door frame button is pressed.
If it just unlocks then the gas cylinders are worn, but generally as long as the cylinders hold the hatch/boot open I won't replace them. BTW…if the cylinders barely hold the hatch/boot open in the summer, they often won't in the winter or when temperatures get much colder.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know how close to "not holding" it open they are, but it does not move at all when unlatched.

Did you get your car new/near new, so are you sure it never opened more?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I don't know how close to "not holding" it open they are, but it does not move at all when unlatched.

Did you get your car new/near new, so are you sure it never opened more?
hmmmm…I just checked the A6 4.2…it just clicks unlocked, doesn't move at all.
Holds up when opened, outside temp maybe 80F. But there is so much heft to that (even though it's aluminum) boot that I would have to say it never moved, even when new.

S6 is out with daughter..have to check later.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine pops up a little, but I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to fully open.

If you wanted it to self open, I guess you could put spring loaded gas struts on it... I don't think I would want mine to self open though.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would think it should pop up enough to be noticed so you don't accidentally drive with it unlatched.

My 1983 Honda opened a few inches when you pull the release, and the Passat I rented opened all the way.

Just seems odd that they would go to all the trouble to give you easy ways to "pop" the trunk, and then not have it "pop".

Quick Reply: trunk lid supposed to pop up from keyless?