A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Turbo boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo boost

Hello,

I own an Audi A6 and I would like to add a manual boost controller. I have searched on the internet and on YouTube to find information, but without real success, or perhaps I didn't understand well. I know there's something to do with the N75, but I'm a bit lost (I don't have much knowledge in mechanics).

Here are the vehicle details: Audi A6 C5 4B2 2.5 TDI Quattro 150 HP, 1999 model year.
Engine: AFB.

I found this, but not sure if it is correct for my engine

(pic from google)

Otherwise I was told about another tip and to modify turbo actuator and screw it in by making 2-3 turns
If you have information for installing the boost controller on this engine I am interested.

thank you !
The following users liked this post:
EuroPartShop! (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 09:17 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Adding a manual boost controller to your Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro involves manipulating the turbocharger's wastegate to adjust the amount of boost pressure generated by the turbo. The N75 valve, also known as the turbocharger control valve, plays a crucial role in controlling boost pressure in turbocharged engines, including yours. The N75 valve is an electronic solenoid valve that controls the vacuum pressure supplied to the wastegate actuator. This valve regulates the amount of exhaust gas that bypasses the turbocharger, thereby controlling the boost pressure. The N75 valve is typically located near the turbocharger or on the intake manifold. It will have vacuum hoses connected to it. A manual boost controller is usually installed in-line with the vacuum hose that connects to the wastegate actuator. This controller allows you to manually adjust the amount of pressure applied to the wastegate actuator, thereby controlling the boost pressure.

Locate the vacuum hose that connects the N75 valve to the wastegate actuator. This hose is responsible for supplying vacuum pressure to the wastegate actuator to control boost pressure. Cut the vacuum hose and install the manual boost controller in-line with the hose. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation. Once the boost controller is installed, you can adjust the boost pressure by turning the **** or screw on the controller. Start with conservative adjustments and gradually increase the boost pressure while monitoring engine parameters such as exhaust gas temperature and air-fuel ratio. After adjusting the boost pressure, take your vehicle for a test drive and monitor performance. Keep an eye on engine parameters using a boost gauge or by monitoring engine data using an OBD-II scanner.

It's essential to exercise caution when adjusting boost pressure, as excessive boost can lead to engine damage. It's also a good idea to consult with a knowledgeable mechanic or tuner who has experience with turbocharged engines if you're unsure about the process. Additionally, make sure to comply with local regulations regarding vehicle modifications and emissions.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo boost

The one time that I added a manual boost controller, I also installed a boost gauge and a thermocouple to monitor the exhaust temperature. When the temperature was too high, I knew that my fuel was too lean, and I would start to feel the pre-detonation. That's when I had to dial in the boost and lower the pressure a bit. In the winter months I found that I could run with a slightly higher boost than in the summer. Good luck.