A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Turbos Replacement for 2002 Audi A6 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos Replacement for 2002 Audi A6 2.7t

So I found out today that both of my turbos on my Audi are leaking oil from the cases, took it to a trusted shop to confirm.

I need to know 2 things and fast.
1: How much is the replacement for 2 turbos? I know they have to pull the engine and all that, I need a rough estimate. Audi dealership quoted me $5800, but I know I can get it for less than that.
2: I was going to make a 3000 mile road trip both ways, is it recommended that I do not make this road trip anymore?

When I drive the car it still has really good boost, its fast and smooth and sounds great, no whining or any of that. The only time smoke comes out of the exhaust is on a cold start and its not too bad, just a big plume comes out and it doesn't smoke after that. I am leaking about a quart of oil per week: I know its a lot but it hasn't gotten any worse over time and its been doing this for the last 1000 miles! I just don't see how the turbos are starting to go..

is it possible that its just the seals that are bad? will it eventually go? please respond ASAP, thanks fellas
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

EDIT:

The total road trip would be 3000 miles, 1500 one way. thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would invest in AAA subscription. I did much reading on this and other forums and have read over and over how you should carry AAA with these cars. I bought it as soon as I got my car back from the first incident (which occured only after 30 minute of driving after purchase).

I'm no expert, but a quart per week seems quite excessive. I would be hesitant to drive that far. It sounds like the turbos are good, just the seals are bad. I would, however, think that with that much oil consumption, you would be getting some visual indication of smoke all the time while driving.

I thought my seals were bad but after a bit of research found that the valve cover gaskets leak right down onto the turbos making it appear that the leak is from the turbo(s). Have you checked that? Although, I don't think valve cover gaskets would loose a quart a week (again, no expert here, just a thought).

If you go ahead with your trip...just have a backup plan. I've learned more than once that it is best to have a "plan b" just in case.

*edit* forgot to say, yes...from what I've read the only way to get to the turbos is an engine removal. If you are mechanically inclined and can pay attention to detail (assuming you have to tools) you can do it yourself. Otherwise you can probably find a good indy mechanic (although this may take some shopping) that will pull the motor for 1000-1500. I have a mechanic that will do it for me for that price. When it comes time I will pay to have him pull it and purchase some frankenturbo upgrades. That will set me back about 3500.

Last edited by slowguy; 12-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

1. stay OEM on the turbos if you value its reliability

2. DONT DRIVE THE CAR ON THAT TRIP!

i had a minor leak on my custom 2.2L turbocharged jetta (stroked and bored 2L engine ) and thought eh no big deal ill drive from phoenix to Monetrey california....... big mistake.... cause WAY more damage to the engine then just the turbos
Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure it's the turbos? i've read that these turbos are pretty reliable. I had a regular old local shop take a look at an oil leak and told me the turbos were leaking...

I ended up taking my car to a local European specicalty shop. It turned out that it was only the valve cover gaskets.

I know you said you got a second oppinon but MAKE SURE!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yar1
Are you sure it's the turbos? i've read that these turbos are pretty reliable. I had a regular old local shop take a look at an oil leak and told me the turbos were leaking...

I ended up taking my car to a local European specicalty shop. It turned out that it was only the valve cover gaskets.

I know you said you got a second oppinon but MAKE SURE!
I feel like the Turbos are just fine, the car has been leaking oil like this for the last 1200 miles, and I have had 0 problems. I clocked my 0-60 time (websites and an Audi manual told me 6.6 seconds) and mine came out at roughly 6.9 seconds. pretty normal to me. so I don't know what to think -_-
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't want to give you false hope, but i'm not entirely convinced the turbos are gone. I'd really try to find out where they/something is leaking.

If you have good boost, minimal lag, and no noise, i doubt the turbos are damaged.

The seals around the case might be, i don't have much experience.

As to smoke - beware that measure. When cars are cold the cats don't do much, so you can see smoke. As they warm up, cats will clean up the exhaust - so the car may be smoking. If that's true you are quickly approaching a bill for two $500-1000 cats too....

Now, i'm sure many will jump down my throat for this, but if you are not burning TOO much oil (see cat comment above), and you top it up regularly onthe drive, say every fuel fill-up, why not drive it? Lubrication should be fine. I'd just worry about fouling the cats.

I am told the motor need not come out on a^s. Its still a bit honkin job however. But i would look for leaks before thinking "new turbos" unless you have other signs of failure.

Otyherwise its kinda like buying new wheels and tires due to a loose lug. It will fix the problem, but it may not be necessary.

Grant
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by KingHamer
I feel like the Turbos are just fine,
Me too.

As others have said, there really isn't a way for the turbos to leak externally unless you have something like a porous casting (buy a lottery ticket if you do). Possible that an oil feed line is leaking, but more more likely that some camshaft related seals are leaking.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible for a gaskets or cam seals to leak a quart a leak? That seems like a hell of a leak. If you were dumping a quart of oil down over the manifolds and turbos every week, wouldn't it basically have smoke rolling out from every corner of the car?

I have seen, in my pursuit of finding the right A6, some of these cars with oil from front to back but I just assumed this was from months to years of driving with defective gaskets. Again, don't think I am saying it is not possible, I am just asking questions because I do not have the experience with these cars yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone! This really helped out a lot. I owe you all a beer!

Quick Reply: Turbos Replacement for 2002 Audi A6 2.7t