A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Turkey Baster coolant and power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turkey Baster coolant and power steering fluid?

Anyone use a turkey Baster to suck out/change some coolant and power steering fluid from reservior every 3-6 months.

I do that every oil change or whenever I get bored..

The goal is by replace part of the old fluid with fresh fluid, eventually the system will be refreshed with "new fluid". say, the capacity of power steering fluid is 1 Liter. For each time I turkey Baster it, I could replace 200 ml fluid. by n times, I could have (1-20%)^n of new fluid. when n=5, system got it 70% fluid changed.

on top of that, it's easier to do and in my opinion less chance to cause a problem to old car.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lucio_liu
Anyone use a turkey Baster to suck out/change some coolant and power steering fluid from reservior every 3-6 months.

I do that every oil change or whenever I get bored..

The goal is by replace part of the old fluid with fresh fluid, eventually the system will be refreshed with "new fluid". say, the capacity of power steering fluid is 1 Liter. For each time I turkey Baster it, I could replace 200 ml fluid. by n times, I could have (1-20%)^n of new fluid. when n=5, system got it 70% fluid changed.

on top of that, it's easier to do and in my opinion less chance to cause a problem to old car.
Just be careful at Thanksgiving.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

uh your wasting your time with the coolant. Not only is the G12 coolant good for many many years and probably close to 100k miles, your going to dump alot of it out doing routine maintence and repairs, thermostat, waterpump, hoses, reservoir, ect.

As far as the steering fluid, The CHF11s fluid is synthetic and lasts many many years also, 100k you might think about draining and filling the system back up with fresh fluid. if you just pull one of the easy to reach cooler lines on the driver side corner of the bumper, it dumps most of the reservoir out and some of the lines.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
uh your wasting your time with the coolant. Not only is the G12 coolant good for many many years and probably close to 100k miles, your going to dump alot of it out doing routine maintence and repairs, thermostat, waterpump, hoses, reservoir, ect.

As far as the steering fluid, The CHF11s fluid is synthetic and lasts many many years also, 100k you might think about draining and filling the system back up with fresh fluid. if you just pull one of the easy to reach cooler lines on the driver side corner of the bumper, it dumps most of the reservoir out and some of the lines.
not only fluids, I have also replace all the coolant/steering fluid/brake fluid reserviors when I am getting bored. yeah I do that for killing time. I do have a neat obsession -- keep every engine compartment like new.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lucio_liu
not only fluids, I have also replace all the coolant/steering fluid/brake fluid reserviors when I am getting bored. yeah I do that for killing time. I do have a neat obsession -- keep every engine compartment like new.
Just don't confused at Thanksgiving is all I'm saying......