A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Turn signal troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal troubleshooting

Last week or so, my turn signals are acting up. They either blink sporadically (fast, slow) or just don't blink at all. The hazards are working fine. Any suggestions of how to troubleshoot or should I just take it in for a mechanic to look at?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Turn signal troubleshooting

Just saw the tech article as well as another post on the relay behind the hazard button. I pulled it out, but have no clue what, if anything can be done to fix it. At least I know the part that needs to be replaced...I'm assuming that is what is causing my symptoms. Anyone agree, disagree?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You have correctly diagnosed the problem. You need to replace the Hazard Relay & Switch. You can

find it at <a href="http://www.audipartssuperstore.com">http://www.audipartssuperstore.com</a>.
That's where I got mine.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Fear the Miata!

you searched, found your answer and fixed the problem....awesome
Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeedy!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Start with a new relay/switch.

On my wife's wagon I replaced the Hazard Relay/Switch (there is an updated model). This is where you should start. For me however this did not fix the problem....the problem was the turn signal stalk itself. When I replaced the turn signal stalk all was fixed...

There is a great writeup on how to remove your airbag, wheel, etc. to get the stalk off (do a search). Easy fix took maybe an hour.

The stalk costs about $70 from the dealer and they will have them in stock because they fail alot.

Hope it helps..
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is exactly what happened on my wife's allroad. Turn signal stalk was bad.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If the hazard relay is not faulty, here is a writeup on how to replace the signal stalk...

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec162.shtml">DIY signal stalk replacement</a></li></ul>
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Same - took 2 visits to the stealership to 'figur it out too...

However, on my S4 it was just the relay.

On the S4 the signals stopped working/worked oddly, on the ar it was an incessant clicking, but the signals worked fine.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Turn signal troubleshooting

Thanks for all the responses. At the moment, after 2 days (knock on wood), it is working fine again. All it took was dropping it on the floor when I was trying to get the housing off. Who knew? One thing I didn't see in any writeups was how hard it was to plug back in when re-installing. The female connector that is in the dash is hard to get leverage on from behind, so I used the rubber strap from my son's swim goggles to get behind it and then held on to pull towards me while I pushed the male connector back in. Anyway, ordered a spare just in case it fails, was $30. This definitely represents one of the great things about the Audi community. What great writeups and support are out there. I just don't have the time or $$ to take my car into a mechanic right now, so to be able to work on the car, at night, when I'm free, and find a cheap or free fix to my problems is awesome.

Quick Reply: Turn signal troubleshooting